Installing ceramic hob and double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at present refitting my kitchen. It currently has a ceramic hob and built under single oven.
I've purchased a Baumatic Hob rated at 6KW and Baumatic double oven rated at 4.12KW.
The existing mcb at the cu is 30amp, with 4 or 6mm cable i think and approx 7metres from cu.
Will this be adequate to run both new appliances.
Cheers. :)

Sponsored Links
I've purchased a Baumatic Hob rated at 6KW and Baumatic double oven rated at 4.12KW.
The existing mcb at the cu is 30amp, with 4 or 6mm cable i think and approx 7metres from cu.

10.12 kw or 10,120 watts divided by 230 volts is :rolleyes:

No

4.12kw or 4,120 watts divided by 230v is 17. 92 amps

6.0kw or 6,000 watts divided by 230v is 26.01 amps

So you could run the Hob via the existing and run in a new radial 2.5 TE 20a for the oven.

Unfortunately neither item can be added to the existing ring main.

The problem is that i haven't anymore space on my consumer unit.
So i was thinking of running 10mm T & E with a 40A breaker and connecting both hob and oven together.

actually i think you'll find after diversity that they will both be okay on a 32 amp mcb with one switch controlling them

Sponsored Links
Just a bit wary of this diversity thing. In case i tile my walls and then when i'm using my oven and hob that it starts tripping and then i'm f****d, coz i dont wanna go chasing my wall out again.

i've never had a problem in all the years that i have installed this way.
its in the regs to use diversity and even if you had it all flat out for a couple of hours then it would still be fine.
you're looking at about 15amps for the hob
and about 13amps for the oven

10.12 kw or 10,120 watts divided by 230 volts is :rolleyes:

No

4.12kw or 4,120 watts divided by 230v is 17. 92 amps 10+3

6.0kw or 6,000 watts divided by 230v is 26.01 amps 10+5+5

So you could run the Hob via the existing and run in a new radial 2.5 TE 20a for the oven.

Unfortunately neither item can be added to the existing ring main.

I personally find the use of a "rolling eyes" smiley rather patronising, especially when you are incorrect with your reply. Diversity allows for 10A per appliance + 30% of the remainder, and 5A if the CCU has a socket.

So worst case is around 32A so since 6.0 cable clipped direct can handle 47A this is fine, and so is a 32A OPD.

But he said he wasn't sure if it was 4 or 6mm cable, and doesn't specify whether it's a CCU or just a switch - he also clearly states it's a 30 amp breaker. The 32A (actually 33 as you say yourself) is not a "worst case" - it's the current after diversity has been applied - clearly that cannot be described as a worst case.... if you're going to accuse someone of being patronising, and make assumptions without reading what the op wrote, then aren't you failing to allow for the actual "worst case" - that your assumptions are wrong?

But he said he wasn't sure if it was 4 or 6mm cable,
Which is why I stated that 6.0 cable would be OK.

and doesn't specify whether it's a CCU or just a switch -

Which is why I stated that if there is a socket to add 5A

he also clearly states it's a 30 amp breaker. The 32A (actually 33 as you say yourself) is not a "worst case" - it's the current after diversity has been applied - clearly that cannot be described as a worst case....

My apology, by "worst case" I may have been unclear. My intention was to indicate that allowing for diversity, with a socket, the highest value of design current for selecting the breaker would be around 32A. I didn't say that his existing breaker of 30A was adequate (although it actually would be under all but the most rare of conditions)

if you're going to accuse someone of being patronising, and make assumptions without reading what the op wrote, then aren't you failing to allow for the actual "worst case" - that your assumptions are wrong?

I didn't make any assumptions.

Would it not be easier to just run a new 10mm cable with 40A breaker ?
Because everybody is giving me conflicting views i dont know what to believe. :oops:

10sq mm and 40A breaker would be OK. Make sure your CU can take 40A breakers though, if its an old type CU with a 60A main switch the chances are it cant. Rewirables (e.g wylex) that have had fuses replaced with MCB's are usually only rated for max 30/32A devices.

Would it not be easier to just run a new 10mm cable with 40A breaker ?
Because everybody is giving me conflicting views i dont know what to believe. :oops:
It would be easier, and, installation method and CU capacity allowing, you could even use a higher rated MCB if it were needed.

Unfortunately you've fallen victim to the attitude, common to many sparks, that because the OSG allows a particular diversity calculation it it virtually compulsory to use it, and that any advice or installation to the contrary is incompetent over-engineering designed to fleece the customer.

Dunny 123 please accept that cookers DO get used flat out, and not just at Xmas and Easter.
We have 8-10 for weekend food 20+ a year and I can assure you than everything is used f/load for hours on end

Diversity- not on my oven / hobs instals, better over engineering (and designed) than just about engineered / designed.

Kildareking the :rolleyes: was no aimed at being patronising, just trying to lighten up a post, some people here are rather too sensitive which is just daft.

As per BaS mentioned 10mm run will solve all :D (hopefully a not patronising smilie :rolleyes: )

Dunny 123 please accept that cookers DO get used flat out, and not just at Xmas and Easter.
We have 8-10 for weekend food 20+ a year and I can assure you than everything is used f/load for hours on end

I bet it's not. If it was, all your pans would boil dry and the food would burn. Once you've got things to boiling point, you have to turn them down to simmer - then the rings etc will all cycle on their thermostats reducing the average load.

It's also very unlikely that you will be bringing all the pans to the boil from cold at the same time.

(How much actual cooking do you do yourself?)[/i]

But what happens when the mother in law and her entourage come round for a meal on Christmas day and that 30Amp fuse gives up the ghost she is going to say "Kildareking, I told you not to apply diversity when designing that cooker circuit, now look what you’ve done, what sort of husband are you, your wife is in tears, she is too good for you, the turkey is getting cold, you never liked me, I’m going home..."
On second thought...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back