electric oven & gas hob install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to install my new gas hob and electric oven (both baumatic).

Currently the power is running from the CU (30amp) to a cooker switch with a single socket which then feeds a cooker point behind where the oven sits.

Can i hardwire both appliances to the cooker point or change the cooker point to a double socket enabling me to plug both appliances in?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sponsored Links
What are the ratings, and installation instructions for each appliance?

I suspect that neither will be OK on a 30A supply, so you cannot hardwire them in, and if the oven needs more than 13A (not uncommon with foreign products) you've got more to do than just change the outlet type.

And even that would be notifiable.

I haven't got the installation instructions to hand at the moment, but i do know it reads to connect via a dp fused spur.

I did think that the the MCB would need changing.

I also know that the oven can be wired with a normal 13amp plug.

Thanks for your reply :)

Sponsored Links
Hi gnf71
I would say that the gas hob only requires 3 amp fusing for the ignition. You dont say whether the oven is single or double or what the power rating is ( there will be a plate on the back of the oven which will give you total power rating in watts).
If the oven is rated higher than 3000 watts then the cooker outlet will be ok for as is , but do not connect the hob to it .. it is overfused at 32 amp. the man instructions will probably reguired a double pole fused outlet with 3 fuse fitted.
I would suggest getting a sparky in to test the circuirt to be used and give you advise on where an d how to connect gas hob. The hob also has to be installed by a gas safe installer. Any alteration to the circuits are notifiable under part P also.
Loose

just change the cooker outlet plate for a double socket ( notifiable ) and you're good to go..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back