Installing an ceramic electric hob - any help please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just purchased a new oven and ceramic hob and are in the process of installing it.

The old all in one electric cooker was hooked up to a 30amp radial circuit via a connector unit.

The rather confusing instructions that cames with the hob say that it needs to by fused to 20amp. What's the best way of doing this without too much effort, but safely of course?

Just out of interest the oven instructions say that it needs a 13amp fuse.

Could we wire the hob into the connection unit and plug the oven into the same unit or would that mean the hob wasn't protected properly as we have a 30amp fuse at the consumer unit end?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The hob - what model etc is it? I ask because 20 amp sounds like you're reading the euro instructions for 2 phase. Most hobs are 30 amp plus on single phase. What are the ratings of each burner? Add them up.

A cooker circuit can be easily adapted by "spurring" from the cooker connection unit (using the same cable as the rest of the cct) and fitting a single socket for the oven to plug into.

It's a Candy PVC 401 N.

The manual say's 20amp (i thought that was a little low as it says 6500w on the rating plate).

The instructions are basically cr*p. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

The fuse at the consumer unit is there to protect the cable, not the oven/hob. So assuming the correct cable was installed there is no reason why you can't wire the hob to the cooker switch and plug the oven into any suitable socket.

Sponsored Links
6500w / 230v = a tad under 29 amps.

In my opinion, allowing a little for the fact that you wont be using every burner at once, and the burners cycle on thermostats anyway, the two appliances will be fine on a 30 amp MCB/fuse and 6mm² cable (which was probably already there)

Crafty,

My current CCU has a plug socket also. Can I hook the hob up to this and plug the oven into the socket?

Cheers and thanks for your help in advance

davy_owen_88 said:
So assuming the correct cable was installed there is no reason why you can't wire the hob to the cooker switch and plug the oven into any suitable socket.

;) The socket on the cooker switch will be fine for the oven for the reasons crafty mentioned (diversity).

madtravellingal said:
Crafty,

My current CCU has a plug socket also. Can I hook the hob up to this and plug the oven into the socket?

Cheers and thanks for your help in advance
Wouldn't it look a bit messy with the oven's flex plugged in above the worktop? :confused:

Fit a socket down below, next to the outlet.

Thanks again guys.

The hob I purchased didn't come with any cable.

Do I just use 2.5mm cable or does it need to be heat resistant?

madtravellingal said:
Thanks again guys.

The hob I purchased didn't come with any cable.

Do I just use 2.5mm cable or does it need to be heat resistant?

No, you need to use 4mm² atleast when connecting to a 30/32A circuit. Your manual should have a note saying what type of cable to use...

electrics:cable_types:har_wire_coding-icl.gif

The manual said to use heat resistant 2.5mm heat resistant cable.

Installed it last night using this, turned everything on (all of the hobs and the oven) and nothings exploded.

Am I being a bit assumptive that it seems OK?

madtravellingal said:
Am I being a bit assumptive that it seems OK?

Yes you are. As RF and myself told you, you need atleast 4mm² cable when connected to the 30A fuse.

The 2.5mm² cable recommended by the manufacturer was for use with a 20A circuit that they also recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back