Oven stops DURING cooking.

3(3) does not include the householder mending his own boiler in his own home, so there is no requirement for him to be "a member of a class of persons approved by the Health and Safety Executive under regulation 3(3)"
Incorrect, the minimum requirement by law for anybody to work on any gas appliance is competence, and competence has now been clarified as passing an acs or equivalent examination.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It is not misleading in any way, the HSE made it clear a couple of years ago than certain parts on a gas appliance were not allowed to be swapped by anything but a competent engineer, fans were one of the components listed, and there is nothing in law that says people can work "on their own appliances", that is an "old wives tale", minimum requirement in law now is competency and the guideline for that is having passed gas exams.
I am not a registered gas safe engineer & a little while ago needed a small job doing on the gas side of my campervan. After asking several local engineers to do the job & none of them being ar**d to turn up, I researched this subject as to whether I could LEGALLY do it myself, including the documents you link to.
As you say, there is nothing law to say people "can" work on there own appliances, but equally none of the legislation I read could be interpreted as saying they could not. Only that they would be legally responsible for any catastrophe that resulted from any negligence in their so doing.
My interpretation of everything I read is that there is nothing that says that anyone could be prosecuted for SAFELY carrying out work, even gas work for themselves on their own gas equipment. It appears to me that if you took it to the extremes that you appear to, then one could be prosecuted for disconnecting the bayonet on the supply of any gas appliance, which is clearly not sensible. This is why I feel your reply was misleading.

Incorrect, the minimum requirement by law for anybody to work on any gas appliance is competence, and competence has now been clarified as passing an acs or equivalent examination.
So you say. However, I can see that people who are employed, or self-employed, as gasmen are specified in 3(3) and there is reference to how they may be classed as approved. However 3(3) does not mention people who are not employed or self-employed as gasmen, but who are competent. These are the householders we are talking about. For your convenience I copy 3(3) below.

Do you know of a "clarification" regarding householders who are not employed or employees?

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

Ok, don't mean to interrupt the legal wrangle but would like to know why the cooker fan is stopping? wsts, you said you know what the problem is but wont tell me??? My neighbour (Mr. 'Corgi' engineer) has said he will pop around to do the job if necessary but thinks I am allowed to change the fan (if that is what is needed?). It has no connection to the gas as it is totally separate and only cools the electrics and takes heat away from the top of the oven (the inside is completely separate, I've looked at the top) - attached is a pic from the internet which although not my oven has the same set up. Is it the fan failing or another component that makes the fan cut out? It would save time and effort if you were to tell me - it wouldn't make you liable.

Attachments

• BIMS31-Oven-Top-Removed.JPG
    BIMS31-Oven-Top-Removed.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
The fan just makes a humming sound after this.

If the fan is humming then almost certainly it still has power supplied to it. If you have a meter that will measure 230 volts AC and are confident to use it then check the voltage between the terminals of the fan motor. Do it when the fan is running ( to confirm it is a 230 volt AC fan ) and then again when it has stopped and is humming. If there is still 230 volts AC when humming then the fan is in need of service or replacement. Dried out bearings are common fault with that type of fan.

If I have an electric motor that isn't working I check if it has brushes as in our washing machine. A new set for about £5 and a clean of the commutator and it goes on for another five years. It was sixteen last Christmas. Also check if it's noisy which indicates a bearing problem.

I have recently discovered capacitors cause problems as in my bread maker. The motor has gradually been getting weaker and turning the mixing paddle slower resulting in dense bread. A new capacitor for £3.69 fixed the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back