Oven trips RCD breaker

npp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is my first post to a site like this so I hope I'm doing it right!

I have a problem with my Neff oven tripping out the main RCD breaker.
This happens frequently, usually when the oven is heating up or reaching temperature.
It does not trip out the 32A breaker on the cooker circuit but the main breaker, so we are often plunged into darkness!
Its a relatively new house with generally sound electrics and I have checked all of the cooker wiring and found it to be in good condition with tight connections.

I've read this post with interest:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29654

but I think I have a different type of consumer unit and I don't think I have the option of moving the cooker circuit off of the RCD.
My consumer unit is a 8 way Wylex NSES806 with a 100A 30mA RCD and all slots are occupied.
It looks much like this one:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99580...ex-Consumer-Units/Wylex-8W-100A-30mA-RCD-Unit

I would really appreciate any advice or potential solutions that any of you can offer.

(By the way I am an engineer and very competant DIYer so I don't mind a bit of technical investigation or replacement of parts if need be.)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it is a relatively new house then I'd be asking why you only have one RCD covering the whole house! Shouldn't have been wired like that as you say - one fault causes you to be plunged into darkness.
Electric ovens are quite often leaky - one way under the 16th edition regulations (we now work to the 17th) would have been to move it across to the non RCD side of a split load board. However under the 17th edition the cabling supplying the oven will probably need to be protected by a 30mA RCD. (but not all the house on the same 30mA RCD)
Can you upload a pic of your consumer unit?
The only thing I can really think of as a quick-fix would be to look at the oven, first place I'd start would be to look at the element in the oven, take an insulation resistance reading. Depending on price, replace it to see if that fixes it.

If it is only 8-10 years old then it should have been wired to the 16th edition regulations which include the regulation (314-01-01) "Every installation shall be divided into circuits as necessary to: (i) avoid danger and inconvenience in the event of a fault,".
A new CU with multiple RCDs would help comply with this regulation so you don't lose all your lights with a single fault, this will cost a bit of money so I'll leave that decision up to you!
A new CU will not stop the tripping, only minimise the inconvenience cause by it. You'll need to tackle this problem head on, i.e. if it is the oven causing the trip then that is the place to start.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back