ovens on ring main

also same advice available in green book published by IEE. Electricians Guide. Only stipulation is that both appliances must be within 2m of each other. Can be run in 6mm2 with 32A breaker..........designated as a standardised circuit (i guess for those that can be bothered with calcs). Think lots of people use this book cos more user friendly than the regs

Sponsored Links
you wouldnt be able to plug both ovens into a double socket
with 13A fuses in if the ovens are rated at 16A each.
i would put them on their own 16A radial in 4mm2.

I helped a neighbour remove their old electric cooker today, although it had a proper cooker switch unit on the wall, it came down from there in a thick flexible cable to a taped chock block that then went to feed the 2.5kw electric oven & the gas hob (for the ignition).

All I did was disconnect & make safe into a junction box so that when the fitters come with new oven on Monday they can sort it out proper.
Neighbour pulled a double socket out of a hat & said he was going to put that there for the new oven & the hob.

My question is, shouldn't the cable from the switch to the socket be 2.5mm T/E rather than flex?

(I only helped with the leccy as I was putting the old one on Freecycle for them and didn't fancy leaving it with the wires exposed.)

It probaby shouldn't be on 2.5mm² anything - what's the rating of the fuse/MCB?

Sponsored Links
thought I might get that reply. :D

I have noidea, it wasn't my place to go any further.

he could run it in 4mm T&E and put a double socket on the end of it.
he can then plug in the hob ignition and oven on 13A fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back