ovens on ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My electrician has been doing the first fix for my renovation, and has said he's just going to wire our twin ovens in on the ring main, as their rating is suitable for doing this.

They are rated at 3.6KW / 16A each. Are these really OK to go on the ring main, or should I get him to change it?

Sponsored Links
Also, would it be OK to use a single 20AMP DP switch for these (they are being installed as a single unit - ie, directly above each other).

Personally I wouldn't do it this way. I'm just about happy to fit 1 single oven rated at 2.5Kw on a kitchen ring final. Bear in mind kitchens have a lot of appliances and your ring final will happily supply you with 7.3kW. However your 2 ovens will take the complete load in 1 hit. If you have a spareway on your board why not run a new 4mm2 radial with a 32 amp breaker. That leaves the existing ring final for all the other appliances

OK, the ring they're on serves just the kitchen; however it will also have a dishwasher, fridge/freezer, boiling water tap, extractor, 3 double sockets and 3 single sockets. Is this going to be pushing things?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the 17th recommend a radial for anything over 2kW?

Hi,

My electrician has been doing the first fix for my renovation, and has said he's just going to wire our twin ovens in on the ring main, as their rating is suitable for doing this.
He has a strange notion of "suitable"....

They are rated at 3.6KW / 16A each.

1) That's the entire capacity of your circuit gone.

2) I wonder what size cable he plans to use, given that the terminals will have been designed to accept the sort of sizes you'd use for a 16A circuit, not a 32A one.

3) I wonder what the installation instructions say about the oven supply being fused at 32A.

where two stationary cooker appliances are installed in one room one switch
may be used to control both appliances
provided that neither appliance is more than two meters from
the switch this is for circuits rated over 15 amp and under 50 amp

OK, panic over. I just gave him a call, and he said that though he did say he was putting them on a ring, he did in fact put them each on a radial. He has also put them on separate switches.

Boiling water tap is 1.6KW. I take it this will be fine on the ring main?

One feasible way (my one is like this), have a B20 radial circuit in 4mm cable. This feeds ONE double socket outlet (behind the kitchen unit next to the oven). It's behind a pull down back panel with magnetic catches - this powers the oven and hob respectively with two 13amp plugs, fused at 13amp for oven, and 3amp for gas hob light and ignition. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Alternatively for ovens over 13amps rating, use a B16 radial circuit. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

where two stationary cooker appliances are installed in one room one switch
may be used to control both appliances
provided that neither appliance is more than two meters from
the switch this is for circuits rated over 15 amp and under 50 amp

Not knocking the advice, but where've you got this from?

hi secure page154 osg until the new osg is available i am presuming this
will not change separate hob and oven are treated as a free standing cooker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back