Over boarding ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am in the middle of renovating my house that we boght two mounts ago. I have over boaded most of the ceilings and all have been lath and plaster. I am just in the process of finding the joists in the bedroom and found out it has been overloaded in the past, probly along time ago as it has a Gray thick type paper on the front of the plaster boads also fixed with nails. My question is can I over boad this once more as I already have the boards or would it be best to skrim the few cracks and then skim over?

Sponsored Links
The two joists I have found are about 1 3/4 inch so could probly take it but after peeling all the wood chip off its seems pretty sturdy and only has two cracks. I'm thinking I can take the boards back, but am I cutting corners will it crack and need over boarding in the future.

Thanks for the reply nath

Generally you have pre-existing boards, that are starting to sag and crack. It's a case of screwing back up tight and joint taping any cracked joints, then PVA (two coat) primer. Prior skimming.
Just be careful when screwing up, with regards to plumbing/electrical services.

Sponsored Links
The thin crack runs paralle with a joist then off at a right angle, so probly at the edge of a board. How do you sugest I find the joists to screw with out putting holes all round the edges, would it be best to punch down from the attic? And how often would you screw?

What's wrong with making holes in the ceiling? you are going to overboard it anyway.

Andy

That's what I am trying to figer out but think it isn't sagging much at all and feels sturdy so think the other way suggested is the way to go.

If you have access from above, I generally drill down at edge of ever joist, both ends of span.
Then you can snap a chalk-line across them below, making adjustments for joist centres.
Then it is easier screwing up at centres.
Screw every 150mm to 200mm.

Thanks a lot buddy I have found center on the other cielings by punching a thin screwdriver thought til I find both edges and chalk line. This one is more difficult as its alot more punch through think al do as you suggested, go in the loft. How often would you sugest screwing the same as if I was putting new plaster boards up?

iirc it used to be 72 nails to a board,and when i do it im around that figure for screws.

I was thinking every 12" as its just making sure the original nails don't pull. That sound about right?

Thanks for the sound advice bud don't think I would gane anything by overboarding and save me lifting them up :)

Thinks again nath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back