over fascia vents / extreme wind!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a new build 1.5 story house (2 years old) with cold vented roof - with over fascia vents and a continuous vented ridge.

The over fascia vents are exposed to really strong prevailing winds on one side of the house which means there is an enormous amount of airflow through the roof space. The house is in the countryside and on the affected side of the house there is no shelter/windbreak for miles and gets hit by really strong winds.

The upstairs and downstairs rooms on this side of the house are noticeably colder than others.

One of the downstairs rooms has a stove with a firestop vent where the flue goes through the ceiling to the eaves / roof space on the ‘windy side’ of the house.. This room is so draughty thanks to the combination of the vented roof and vented firestop that the internal door will slam closed when it is windy outside!

I am currently trying to find and insulate any particularly bad areas (eg wall sockets, toilet plumbing), and whilst I appreciate the need for the vented roof space, I think I need to somehow diffuse the airflow through the over fascia vents.

If I can reduce the airflow, so the over fascia vents are not getting the strong winds ‘face on’ but are getting the airflow through a more indirect and less blustery method I am assuming this will help the problem.

I had hoped there might be a baffle or guard I could install to help shield the vents from the direct wind, but still keep them open and working, but I couldn’t see anything.

I obviously don’t want to just block all the vents off as by design I need the vented roof - I just don’t need it completely exposed to the huge levels of wind it is getting hit with.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help?
I even wondered if I could get away with blocking ‘some’ of the vents so I’m not living in a wind tunnel?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I was going to suggest that you put some plywood across the bottom of the rafters were it meets
the ceiling. Then you would have a series of openings between each rafter like letter boxes so to speak and then
you would be able to cut some blocks of timber to narrow the opening to suit your desired air flow. If its a truss roof then it might be a bit more of a pain to get to.

Thanks.. that's a good suggestion - then I can adjust to suit. I'll have a look and see how 'do-able' that is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back