over heat trip problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help.

Potterton Profile 80e.

Just returned from holiday and the boiler keeps tripping the overheat cutout. Turned the heating off for the first time in 2-3 years so it doesn’t get cold under normal usage. It runs for about 1 minute then the overheat trip operates. After cooling for 10 minutes, resetting it and trying again, the same will happen.

The outlet pipe of the boiler gets hot although not instantly as you might expect from heated and pumped water. It seems that water is not actually pumping around the system. It’s as though the pipe is only getting hot through conduction and the fact the pipe is higher than the boiler. The pump which is in the upstairs airing cupboard gets hot as do the pipes surrounding it but no heat reaches the rads or the indirect water cylinder.

The system has run for years without inhibitor! so I assumed the pump was faulty. The replacement has made no difference so I looked at the three way valve. The control part was removed to operate it manually and the valve moves freely but neither position makes hot water flow to the cylinder.

Searches on here suggest that air locks and cold feed blockage can cause this. When the pump was replaced the system was completely drained (rather than rely on the pump valves working) and after refilling the rads were bled as was the screw in the middle of the new pump.

The problem seems to be directly related to actually switching off the system and letting it cool down for first time in years. When the boiler had been operating properly it would frequently kettle and make clicks and expanding / contracting noise which I understand to be typical of a scaled up boiler. Is it likely that allowing it to cool down has resulted in the silt collecting in and completely blocking the boiler or is the problem more likely to be in the cold feed / elsewhere.

Help – cold!!

Sponsored Links
The clue would be the colour of the water when you drained down!

As water comes out of the pump then it seems that water is entering the system.

So the conclusion would be that there is a blockage if it suddenly happened. But you changed the pump without saying if the old pump was working or not! That would have been a good clue too.

You have a choice of taking things apart to see where the flow restriction is or putting a chemical in and hoping the very restricted flow will eventually get to the blockage.

Have you ensured all the air vents have been opened?

Tony

Hi,

thanks for your help.

the old pump was working (it could be heard but i didnt remove the screw to see it turning) and i also tried it on the bench after having fitted the new one. the water was dirty and had sediment in it although the old pump was not 'caked with it' or anything like that.

when you say 'air vents' do you mean the rad bleed valves/pump centre screw?

do you think it likely that the boiler is completly filled with crud and thus blocked?

Sponsored Links
A heating system needs clean water!

It sounds very likely that you have a seriously sludged up system. Normally power flushing would be the prescribed remedy.

There may be bleed screws at high parts of the system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back