Overboarding a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there, i am going to overboard my ceiling but am worried about how this will affect my existing light fitting.

If I dont use batons and screw directly through the old ceiling into the joists it shouldnt have a drop of more than 25mm but my wiring isnt long enough to accomodate this change.

Can I just extend the wires with new wire?

Also, is it safer to use batons or is it ok to just screw the new plasterboard flush to the old ceiling (which is pretty level)

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
If your existing ceiling is somewhere near flat and level, over-boarding directly on to it will be okay.
If the ceiling is all over the place then battening out would be recommended.
Your cables in the light fitting may have a bit a slack, so if pulled gently you may find you get a little more length.
Don't risk pulling at them to harshly as you could pull them out of any connected terminals within the ceiling void or at other points.
If this is not possible may suggestion would be to use a plastic connection strip, you can terminate the existing cables in to it.
You then just add a short length to your switch wires and earth if needed to the fitting.
This connection strip would be then best placed in a choc box and can be pushed up through the hole in the ceiling.
If you want to reply with the cables you have numbers of, colours, markings, sleeves and terminals they are currently in. I will help you with the best way to terminate and offer links to the correct accessories needed.

I am at the planning stage at the moment but will definitely come back if I have more problems with wiring.

Many thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back