Overboarding existing 12.5mm pb ceiling with 15mm soundbloc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi:)

During my house renovations I want to overboard the existing plasterboard ceiling, I'm moving lights and it's currently covered in some kind of wood chip.

Is there any issue with using 15mm soundbloc? The current ceiling is installed onto 8x2 timber joists.
I realise the sheets are significantly heavier and will be a lot harder to move, but for minimal increase in cost it would be great if i can safely achieve sound transfer reduction.
Thing concerning me is the extra weight really
My daughter who's room will be above is an extremely light sleeper, once she's up she's up

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Thing concerning me is the extra weight really
If that's, the case then don't let her have any of her mates across for a sleepover, lol. The increase in weight spread over those joists will be minimal compared to some of the loading a floor endures.

Getting them in place and fixing them will be a reet bleeding pain though. When over-boarding we always mark out the centre of each joist with pencil. We knock a hole at each end, to identify the joist bearings and set up the laser. Trust me - it'll save a lot of tears.

The one good thing about over-boarding is that because the overall board thickness is now greater and there is a solid layer of board beneath the new layer, you can be less fussy about where the board lands regards joist centre. You can afford to be on the short side but still get decent fixing with a slightly angled screw.

Last edited:
Don’t expect the soundbloc in itself to be a big improvement. You really need dense insulation packed between all the joists and the only one I’ve ever done which I could say made a considerable difference also involved resilient bars, but normal half inch plasterboard. Obviously soundbloc would have gone even further

If you've got the headroom downstairs you'll get better acoustic separation with a false ceiling (timber gridwork NOT fixed to the existing ceiling) and pack any void with insulation batts (the heavy rockwool type stuff not Celotex or equivalents)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.

Great info on making holes to confirm where the joists are ill definitely do that. There's loads to choose from as they get down to around 180mm centres in the middle

I don't want to go too crazy with anything extra I'm only looking the soundbloc pb as I'm overboarding anyway.

Im beginning to think the 15mm is going to be too heavy to handle at 44kg each.

Has anyone used the 19mm gyproc plank before?

You could add another 2 layers of normal boards? It’s all about increasing overall mass

44kg? Didn't realise they were that meaty, yes they'd hurt on your own :)
They hurt if there are two of you!

We have three blokes fitting these beasts - two guys lifting and the other (usually me)operating the props....

shopping

They hurt if there are two of you!

We have three blokes fitting these beasts - two guys lifting and the other (usually me)operating the props....

shopping

Think they're going to be too much for me and the wife then! :D

I've done some more reading and I think I'm going to give the gyproc plank or similar a go. They're 19mm thick but only 600mm wide. Bit pricier but a lot safer I think

Last edited:
getting them overhead is the problem.
theres usually me and my boy on platforms , one extra on the floor to help get it overhead. once its overhead and tight to the ceiling the one extra goes on the screwgun sharpish!
theres not much room for props with 3 people.

as someone else said youd get much more benefit from packing between the joists with high mass/density soundproofing. then you could overboard and skim with 10mm board and get the wife to help:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back