Overboarding floorboards for tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would usually use ply, is there a cheaper option? will be 18mm to maintain levels and is in a hall and entrance. Current boards are 22mm and nice and level.[22sq mtrs]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
wood and tiles are natural bedfellows @foxhole youd be better off using a tile backer board such as no more ply or hardie backer. I dont think this will be a cheaper option that ply however, if you do go down that route, make sure you prime the underside and edges of the ply with neat primeplus, you dont need to prime the surface, use an s2 adhesive like tilemaster ulitmate.

Hi @foxhole my understanding is that its because of condensation underneath.

heres what the spec sheet for Tilemaster PrimePlus states:

Plywood Overlay: Prior to tiling, ensure that new or existing boards are dry, i.e. conditioned to the environment in which they will be used. Plywood must be 12mm (minimum), exterior grade, screwed (not nailed) to substrate at 6 inch/150mm centres. Ensure there is sufficient ventilation beneath substrate and that the plywood has been fitted competently and will take the weight of the tiles, tile adhesive and grout. Make sure the surface is dry and free of any contaminants, loose dust or dirt. The top surface of the plywood does not require priming prior to tiling. Prime the reverse side and edges of the plywood with neat Primeplus.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back