Tiling wooden floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people really need some help I have just done a extension on my house and wanting to tile the floor, the extension has a floating flooring with 80mm celotex and them 22mm tg then when it meets the old house the floor is suspended with normal 18mm floorboards my worrys is I can't tile straight onto the floorboards? The floor levels are the same so no room to overboard the floorboards. Any input would really help me.

Sponsored Links
In the extension:
You have laid celotex on what kind of solid floor - earth, rubble, sand or concrete etc?
You have then laid 22mm T&G boards on top of the celotext?
You now find that the extension FFL is at the same level as the main house floor FFL?
You want to lay tile that flows straight from the extension through into the main house floor?

In the extension:
You have laid celotex on what kind of solid floor - earth, rubble, sand or concrete etc?
You have then laid 22mm T&G boards on top of the celotext?
You now find that the extension FFL is at the same level as the main house floor FFL?
You want to lay tile that flows straight from the extension through into the main house floor?

Hi thanks for your reply yes that's all correct and the celotex was laid on to concrete.
My concerns are the old floor will have to much movement in it and over time tiles will pop. My plan is to tear up the old floorboards and replace it with 18mm tg glued and then add some noggins between the joist.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand what you are doing or why you are doing things this way?

In the extension:
How come the insulation didn't go below the concrete?
Why have you floated the 22mm T&G over the celotex?
If laid on celotex, the T&G boards - any boards or sheets of c/board or ply - will move.
You cannot tile over a moving surface.

In the old house:
Why do you intend to remove "normal 18mm floorboards" and then replace them with more 18mm boards?
Have you been below the suspended floor and examined the condition of the joists?

The floor was set out this way in my building plans the floor is solid on top of the celotex. The 22mm is tg and all glued together making it one.
What's my best options from here?

IMG_0691.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 239
Hi thanks for your reply yes that's all correct and the celotex was laid on to concrete.
My concerns are the old floor will have to much movement in it and over time tiles will pop. My plan is to tear up the old floorboards and replace it with 18mm tg glued and then add some noggins between the joist.
I would be more concerned about the movement in your new floor, and personally wouldn't take the chance of tiling over that, even with fastflex or tilemaster ultimate.
Extra noggins will have very limited effect on any flex in the old floor.
The floor structure you have in your extension is becoming more common as its cheaper to install, but is far less solid

Thanks for your input I think my only option is to go for a laminate floor the set up I have in the house just doesn't suit a tiled floor.

Don't understand why you dismiss over-boarding, if floors are same level then it's ideal.

The room in total it's a near 90m2 so was thinking about the cost and also the step it would create to the other rooms leading off it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back