Tiling on wooden floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im just about to start tiling my bathroom floor. I'm a bit confused by all the mixed messages about tiling over wooden floorboards, my floorboards are 600mm wide and run along the bathroom. they'r slightly creaky but not too bad. I need to know what i can get away with because i dont really want to lay 18mm ply and also 12mm tiles as there will be an arkward sized step. Also could anyone advise a good floor tile adhesive for porcelin tiles which is not too expensive? my bathroom only measures 2x2m. If i do end up using plywood, does it need to be primed with anything prior to spreading the adhesive.
p.s is flexible adhesive & grout worth buying? im not sure which brands are any good? thanks in advance.
Mark :)

Sponsored Links
Theres quite a lot of info on here if you search around. whichever method you use you'll need to use a flexi adhesive and grout.

when you say your boards are 600mm wide i'm guessing that means they are flooring chipboard sheets rather than old style tongue and groove floorboards am i right?

Ok thanks for the advice, flexible adhesive & grout on my shopping list! Yea the flooring is chipboardsheeting approx 22mm thick.

Sponsored Links
the flooring is chipboard sheeting approx 22mm thick.
You can hardly call chip (crap) board wood; DO NOT tile over it, it’s the worse possible tile base you could imaging & if it’s green (MR) the adhesive probably won’t stick to it either; either way your tiles will most likely fail within a very short time. You need either to rip it up & replace with 18-25mm WBP ply (thickness depends on joist size/pitch/span) or over board with a minimum 12mm WBP ply fixed through into the joists (not just the chip) or use a decent tile backer board, preferably 12mm over chip. Acrylic Prime the underside & edges of ply do not prime the tile surface.

Read the Tiling Forum Sticky & archive posts before you start making potentially disastrous & expensive mistakes. Use only quality trade adhesive & grout of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheap own brand & DIY products are mostly crap; BAL Webber, Granfix, Mapei (but not the stuff in BNQ) etc, You must use powder flexy adhesive for floors not tub ready mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back