Overflow into soil pipe - how to stop smell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a flat and have a combined immersion/cold tank. The immersion section is at the bottom and has a small cold tank on the top. Coming out of the cold tank is an overflow pipe right at the top. This used to connect into the bath waste when the bath was on the other side of the wall (in the bathroom) but we've moved things around and now on the otherside of the wall is a shower cubicle.

We have redone the overflow pipe (as it was leaking) and have got it through into the bathroom under the shower tray but now need to connect it into the 40mm pipe that the shower connects to (and then goes into the soil pipe). We've bought a kit that cuts a hole into the pipe but have realised that if we connect it straight into the pipe that there will be no trap stopping the smell from the shared soil stack going into the water tank and out of my airing cupboard!

I've searched on the web and have read about tundish connectors but what we really want some way of stopping the smell but allowing any water to get through. We keep an eye on the tank so we would know it was overflowing (and have a meter) and as the pipe is under the the shower tray we won't be able to see the connector.

Is a tundish what we need? We've used standard 19mm overflow pipe and I've looked on the McAlpine site but can't workout what we need to buy.

Any help, as always, appreciated.

Sponsored Links
so when you connect it to your soil pipe or your bath waste how do you know when its overflowing ?

Thanks for the quick reply. We keep a check on the water level in the tank on a monthly basis (as we live above somebody else) and in fact as it only feeds the immersion you can hear it filling whenever the hot water is used so we'd know if it was overflowing (I think).

We've fittted a new ballcock and a new connector as previously it was not only overflowing but leaking as it did so! We've now had the end of the new overflow pipe sitting over a bowl and checked daily for nearly six weeks so we know the overflowing has stopped. We also had kitchen towel everywhere so we could check if the leaks had stopped and everything has now dried out.

We found out it was leaking originally when all of the bedding and towels in the airing cupboard were damp and mouldy. Yuck.

When it connected under the bath it was hidden by a bath panel; the only difference was that it connected off the bath trap.

You can buy a special fitting for the job, which includes a clear site glass.

If you're anywhere near Bath I have loads of em.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the offer but I'm in Leamington Spa. :D

Does this stop the smell or just allow you to see if it's overflowing? I have pipe running through the airing cupboard that is vertical so could replace a section of that possibly?

We keep a check on the water level in the tank on a monthly basis (as we live above somebody else) and in fact as it only feeds the immersion you can hear it filling whenever the hot water is used so we'd know if it was overflowing (I think).

not good enough for water regs.
you need to see it overflowing from the end or fit a tundish giving a AA air gap.
We've fittted a new ballcock and a new connector as previously it was not only overflowing but leaking as it did so! We've now had the end of the new overflow pipe sitting over a bowl and checked daily for nearly six weeks so we know the overflowing has stopped. We also had kitchen towel everywhere so we could check if the leaks had stopped and everything has now dried out.

then when your not expecting it it will leak.

When it connected under the bath it was hidden by a bath panel; the only difference was that it connected off the bath trap.

ok but should of had a visable tundish fitted.
i've seen them connected to soil pipes with a trap.
but after a month or so the trap dry out and then smells come in.

Another job for Hep V O valve :idea: with 1. 1/4 plastic adapter on top and a 19 mm overflow to 35mm reducer on bottom

Can it connect to the WC overflow? or the combined Bath waste and overflow. Tundishes are available but you need to go to a proper Plumbers merchants for them.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

We have fitted a HEP VO waste valve beneath the bath (the previous bath had a hole dug out in the concrete floor to make room for the trap) and it's on the other side of the room now so we can't connect there. The toilet has an internal overflow and pipework suggested by the helpful folks here :)

We have a two good plumber's merchants so I'll see if either stock the A13 Overflow kit from Hilcrest as it seems ideal from the description. If not then I'll obtain a tundish and fit that inside the airing cupboard where it's visible before the pipework travels down and through the wall into the void beneath the shower.

Can anyone confirm that this will meet the regs AND stop the smell?

Thanks again for all the help :)

The hep valve must go on the vertical drop under the tundish :idea: then it will stop the smells. IF you can`t find an A 13

alternatively you could get the hep bv21 tundish adaptor kit. comes with the hep vo and an adaptor that connects to a tundish. check it out on the hepworth website or google it.

The toilet has an internal overflow and pipework suggested by the helpful folks here
If the the toilet is located nearby, you could connect the overflow pipe into the top of the toilet cistern. When either the toilet or cold water cistern overflows you will know about it and by removing the top of the toilet cistern you will then establish if it is the toilet cistern or the cold water cistern that is overflowing. Uncoventional, but it should work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back