overflow only when both taps open...!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house which is all electric and only have an emersion heater for hot water, which is up stairs in the bathroom airing cupboard, which is quite new looking and supplies good amount of hot water.

My problem is this....when both hot and cold taps in kitchen (downstairs) are on, the overflow pipe sticking out the wall up stairs spill water out. When only one tap..either hot or cold is on then nothing comes out overflow pipe.

Before I call in a plumber to have a look has anyone any ideas what would cause this as a plumber may baffle me with science and rip me off.!!

Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated....thanks in advance

Dave

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen taps are a mixer, it's possible the mains cold to tap is making it's way into the hw cylinder through hot pipe. This then overfills the loft tank and goes out the overflow.

thanks for your prompt reply The tap in the kitchen is a mixer, but we have a loft conversion and no tank in the loft.

So I will guess that its a deck mixer or something similar, mains cold water passing into hot system,

Run the hot tap on its own the whilst feeling the hot pipe get somone to open cold tap and you will feel the pipe go cold!!!

Sponsored Links
If he hasn't got a cold tank, the hot water cylinder must be unvented?

Or maybe a fortic/combination cylinder.

OP. Please tell us what setup you have? What is the overflow piped to?

Edit. Just read loft conversion. So Fortic unlikely. Most likely unvented then.

to be honest no idea all I know is overflow pipe is about same height in wall as the emersion tank and I think it goes through the wall to behind the tank somewhere...!!
I am no plumber obviously...lol

See the black plastic tundish on the right of the picture ?, is water going into that when the said tap is on ? If so you need a plumber with an unvented ticket.

thanks Madrab...will try and check later...water only flows out overflow when both taps are running...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back