Hot water overflowing from cold water tank

RJP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a shower fitted, the hot water feed comes off the same pipe that feeds the bath tap, the cold is from the mains. Since having the shower fitted the cold water tank in the loft is overflowing (through the overflow pipe) but with hot water which I think is coming from the vent pipe. The shower itself works perfectly. Sorry, not sure of the make or model shower but it may be Kube. Any ideas what the problem may be?
Roger

Sponsored Links
As your shower mixer is supplied with mains-pressure cold and tank-pressure hot (this is not very good practice)

then the shower mixer probably has an internal leak whereby the cold water is passing through the shower, along the hot pipes and pushing the hot water out.
If the mixer is fitted with service valves, turn them off and see if the problem stops.

If you feel the hot pipes immediately after using the shower you may be able to feel them going cold as the cold water pushes up them.

How difficult would it be to get a cold feed from the tank to the shower?

Every shower valve manufacturer will advocate, or stipulate, balanced supplies, whereas yours are unbalanced.

The standard questions for your fault are:

1. Which cistern is overflowing?
2. Which cistern is higher than the other?
3. What happens if you shut off the cold mains to the shower - does the cistern stop overflowing?

Who fitted this shower? Could be that you have mixed mains and tank fed hot water (BAD IDEA) or that your cylinder coil has a pin hole... is the water coming from the HOT tap normal colour or does it look a bit off colour and smell a bit?

Sponsored Links
The OP doesn't seem very interested in the answer to his question.

Many thanks for all the replies, I've been away for the weekend so couldn't respond sooner. Have spoken to a plumber (can't get hold of the original one) who gave similar advice to that given on this forum and will sort it out for me, I will post a reply when this is done.
Roger

RJP said:
Have spoken to a plumber (can't get hold of the original one) who gave similar advice to that given on this forum and will sort it out for me
How immensely rewarding.

Do come back soon with more questions. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back