Hot Water tap running dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had an En suite consisting of a shower/sink and toilet fitted off one of the 1st floor bedrooms.

The hot water supply to the sink and shower has stopped working. You open the tap and a few warm drops come out. The pipework for both the hot and cold is fed via the loft, where the hot water supply has been teed into the overflow pipe from the hot water cylinder (which is in the main bathroom on the same floor as the on suite).

The hot water feed / overflow pipe was cold to the touch so I'm assuming there was no water in it, two questions please.

If it is air that has got into the pipe, how do I bleed it ?
There is a shower pump in the main bathroom, could this be the cause of air getting into the overflow ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, should have read 'vent Pipe' the one that goes into the top of the cold water tank.

The pipework for both the hot and cold is fed via the loft, where the hot water supply has been teed into the overflow pipe from the hot water cylinder (which is in the main bathroom on the same floor as the on suite).

so correct me if i'm wrong (its not unknown)

you have the hot supply connected to the hot cylinder vent in the loft ?

and a shower pump on the same cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
you have the hot supply connected to the hot cylinder vent in the loft ?
Yes

and a shower pump on the same cylinder ?
Yes

Yes the water in the cylinder is hot, all other hot taps have running hot water and yes the feed tank is full.

you have the hot supply connected to the hot cylinder vent in the loft and a shower pump on the same cylinder ?

So tell me guys, is there an issue with it set up like this please ?

you've answered your own question.
its connected to the vent pipe. its probably drawn air in.

err just a bit

when you turn a tap on all you will do is drain the vent pipe :eek:

Not possible.

But if the tee is very high then air can be drawn in when the pump is in use causing air to be drawn in and causing an air lock.

effing bloody classic, :oops: sorry nurse ive leaked again,

no please not the rubber pants again :oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back