overflow pipe diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I have a washing machine which connects to a trap under a sink via the normal corregated slinky pipe you get, and then this ubend goes straight out the wall as normal via 40mm overflow pipe. However recently I had to remove this pipe to get a lean-to shed in against the wall and the plan was to run the pipe back in exactly the same place, but now the shed's in I fancied the pipe being less in-the-way, so replaced it was 21.5mm.

My thinking was that the pipe going to the sink was that width more or less, so surely it would be fine once it reaches the u-bend. But I'm not second guessing myself; it's working fine but I'm a little worried I'm going to burn the pump out or something.

Basically my brain is fighting with itself; to me in theory once it reaches the u-bend that water is no longer being pumped but is flowing out via gravity (particularly as you can't pump when there's a drain hole in the sink which would take any pressure out). But then I'm thinking that the water before the u-bend is being pumped so its flow rate is much faster and doesn't need as wide of a diameter.

Hmm... time to ask some smarter people me thinks! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back