Overflow pipe for conventional boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI! I have just had upvc weatherboards fitted on my house, but it turned out that the installer cut off the toilet cistern overflow pipe which was jutting out through my roof tiles in order to fit the upvc over the weatherboards and he did not put a drainage hole into the upvc in place of the overflow pipe. I have called him back to do the job properly and he is supposed to come back next week.

However I am now wondering if there was another overflow pipe at the back of my house for my cold water tank which I believe is usually situated in the loft of a house and if he has not done the cistern overflow properly, maybe he has done the same thing with the overflow for the cold water tank and not put another drainage hole in the upvc!

How can I find out if there was an overflow pipe for the cold water tank at the back of my house so that I can make sure he fixes this and makes two drainage holes when he comes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The overflow warning pipe should start from near the top of the cold storage tank, and, with luck, you should be able to follow it from there.

There should be a similar pipe from the central heating expansion tank (if you have an open vented heating system) run in a similar way.

Concealing the overflow pipe outlets is not a good idea, as they could be running without your knowlege Then the first warning something is wrong could be when the tank overflows, flooding the loft, then the ceiling collapses :eek:

If you have a combi boiler and sealed heating systen, you will probably not have any cold storage tanks, so no need for any overflow pipes.

Many thanks for your prompt reply! Not sure where the central heating expansion tank is unless it is in the airing cupboard in which there is a hot water tank inside this! I will have to find out! Regards

If the pipe is only the toilet overflow, then a new flush syphon can be fitted that overflows into the bowl. They are quite cheap. You may want to fit a push button version. This is the best way all around. Then the hole to outside can be sealed up with foam.

Sponsored Links
Typical Dr Drivel advice!

I dont see spending £230 having a new toilet/cistern fitted can be good advice when the old one worked fine until the cowboy cut off the warning pipe!

Tony

Typical Dr Drivel advice!

I dont see spending £230 having a new toilet/cistern fitted can be good advice when the old one worked fine until the cowboy cut off the warning pipe!

Tony

They cost about £12 to buy. The only drivel being written is from you. Your advice of the two combi thread was appalling.

Oh Dear you ARE Dr Drivel ! Still reacting the same way!

I wonder how long it is before you are banned again?

The item you are describing is only a component of the latest cisterns and unlikely to be able to fit the OP's unit.

Furthermore any plumber would never fit anything free as you imply!

Oh Dear you ARE Dr Drivel ! Still reacting the same way!

I wonder how long it is before you are banned again?

The item you are describing is only a component of the latest cisterns and unlikely to be able to fit the OP's unit.

Furthermore any plumber would never fit anything free as you imply!

You clearly have not a clue about what you are writing. You have too much time on your hands.

A word of advice. Do not give advice on things you do not know about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back