Overflowing cold water tank caused by kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a problem or rather i need a solution?!

Cold water tank in loft was overflowing. So obvious check was the ballcock - which was fine.

Reading the FAQs I thought, may be a shower mixer. Turned off stopcock and overflow stopped. Hence found the problem.

Now my problem! is: why has this started to happen? It never did before, I have always had the same tap in the kitchen. What should I do? Tap worn?

Sponsored Links
i did read that on the FAQs also, but it has never been a problem before. Also I believe the cold supply must also have a check valve to prevent the possibilty of contaminating the mains water supply.

do new mixer taps have double check valves built in? is this easiest solution?

you may find the bottom seal has gone in the bottom of the spout allowing water to pass

Sponsored Links
just turned the stopcock on again and its overflwoing again to outside via the overflow pipe, even with the mixer tap off! ... so must be seal gonne as you said.

if i replace the mixer tap should i be looking at a specific type, i have mains pressure going in and low pressure from the hot water, so is this a standard mixer tap? one last thing, are the holes in the sinktop all about the same? will new mixers usually fit ? thanks for helping me out mate.

you'll need to stick with a low pressure one because your hot is low.
the hole is useally no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back