overflowing drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just laid a new concrete path in my back garden. however i first had to renew the old clay drain and put in plastic. i bought a tick chamber from wickes with a universal adapter to fit plastic pipe to clay, i also got a two way 45 deg joint a 10 deg one way joint, a square drain and i set them in my new path. i now know i should have tried before i concreted it in. we had some heavy rain recently and my new drain just overflowed and ran all over the path.
have i set it too low? or too high? because i had to go on the line of the clay pipe have i used the wrong type of chamber? can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Is this mains drainage or does it discharge into a soakaway?

If mains it sounds like a simple blockage. Any other inspection chambers in the run should be able to confirm this. Rodding should be able to shift it.

If you've got a soakaway it could have become choked. Did clay or anything else get washed into the pipework while it was exposed? (My father in law completely Donald Ducked his soakaway by pouring dilute emulsion paint down a drain). If this is the case the only satisfactory solution is to dig it out and re-construct.

Sponsored Links
You should have terminated the below ground drainage with a back inlet gully (BIG) and then run the gutter downpipe into the BIG then when any blockage occurs it will be in the trap to the BIG and all that would be necessary would be to remove the top cover of the BIG and clear out the trap.

I would therefore suggest that you take some time out and carry out the necessary remedials, otherwise you are going to have the same problem arising time and time again and eventually you will get so ****ed off with it that you will have to do something about it, and wished you had taken the advice earlier!!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back