Overflowing feeder tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had the feeder tank in the loft overflowing for some time now. Gas Board have changed ball valve in both tanks and fitted new cylinder in airing cupboard but it is still overflowing. It used to overflow all the time, but since the new cylinder it only overflows when the central heating comes on. It is making outside wall damp and green and Gas Board seem at a loss. Has anyone any ideas PLEASE!

Sponsored Links
You can assume the newly fitted ball valve is working properly given you do not have overflow all the time.

Check the level of the water in your header tank. It should be a minimum 2 inches below the overflow outlet to allow for expansion.

Normally there is some adjustment on the float/arm.

Pal

My brother in law bent the arm slightly and was sure that would fix it, but still it overflows!

Carole, your best bet is to post this on the Plumbing/Central Heating page. There are far better qualified people than I who will probably give you an instant answer.

Anyway, your tank is over flowing for one of a few reasons. First the ball valve - it could be leaking - unlikely as it's a new one but check this anyway. The next one you have provided a clue for as you say that it only happens when the heating comes on. As this is the expansion tank it will fill up slightly from your heating system as it warms up but there are loads of posts which have had problems with the pumps etc causing the tank to fill. In summary, its either filling up through the mains pipe or from the expansion pipe from your central heating. I would have thought that the gas board would have sussed that out. When you find out what the problem is give them hell.

Sponsored Links
Ian is right. Having established it is not being caused by "normal expansion" you ought to get some advice from the experts on the plumbing forum.

I have seen a number of old threads which discuss things like the direction the pump is fitted (did the gas touch the punp?), where the pump is fitted in relation to the feed/expansion pipes etc. I am sure you will get a result there.

They will need to know things like if the water is boiling over into the tank or if it pumps into the tank immediately you switch the CH on cold.

Good luck.

Pal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back