Overflowing gutter - blocked down pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A fairly short run of gutter on my house started to overflow in heavy rain recently. It's along a part of the house that I don't often walk along even in the dry, and as I avoid doing so when it's wet it obviously could have been blocked for a while. It's allegedly run in to a soakaway (so the builder's plans from 1968 say), so tree roots would be very likely. A previous house had exactly that problem and needed a re-run of pipes underground to the soakaway. I have a mini-Dynorod attachment for my pressure washer and as this part of my house is only single storey, I thought I'd have a bash at blasting it through before excavating. No luck - even with all of the pipe of the jet nozzle shoved down through the swan-neck into the downpipe and beyond, no clearing effect resulted. There was a rancid stench not dissimilar to sewage however, so I wondered whether it really was run to a soakaway. But because the nearest sewer pipe is twenty metres away that seemed unlikely when digging a soakaway would be easier.

Cut to the denouement. I removed the swan-neck and found water brimming from the top and what looked like a couple of roots poking out. But..... but roots don't have toes, do they? The pipe was blocked by the stinking corpse of a large rodent stuck head-down in the top of the downpipe and totally blocking it! Once removed and the swan-neck reinstated and after today's heavy rain, no further overflow happened. Did I smell a rat? Maybe I did but here in the Chilterns there is a local speciality rodent called a glis-glis (or edible dormouse, or fat dormouse) and they are everywhere. The body of a glis-glis is similarly sized to a rat or small squirrel (also plentiful) and as it was putrid its identity was indecipherable. Typical glis-glis below...

sOWlaHV.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I hadn’t heard of them before but glad you got it sorted. Can you protect the pipes to prevent them running riot again?

There's a mesh laid in the gutters but the little blighter obviously pulled the last few inches up and crawled underneath. They look for a place to hibernate in the autumn and I suspect this poor little bugger chose the wrong one. :sick: Imagine the panic being stuck head-first in a slippery drainpipe...

Sponsored Links
Not when its festering corpse is blocking the downpipe it's not! Nor when it's gnawing through your electrical cables and starting a fire, or fighting in the loft for hours on end it's not! Cute otherwise though, but remember that Romans used to eat them as snacks. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back