Blocked Down pipe from guttering (Plastic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the plastic down pipes from my guttering seems to be blocked as water is coming out at the bottom of the swan neck at the top and running down the outside of the pipe. If I tap the pipe you can tell from the sound that it is full with water as there is no echo unlike the other down pipes. It is a purpose built block of just two maisonettes.

I don't know if the the water runs into the sewer or if it would go to a soak away. (The property was built in 1963).What is the best way for me to try and resolve the problem. There is no obvious way to disconnect the pipe where it enters the ground. I can't climb ladders so just wondering if there is any way I can do anything at ground level or if I will need to get someone in with the cost shared 50/50 between the two maisonettes.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
presumably you can tap from bottom to wherever you can reach?
So is it blocked from ground level?

You might be able to drill a hole for access and shove a bendy rod upwards to shift a blockage.
If it's blocked to ground level then it's harder

presumably you can tap from bottom to wherever you can reach?
So is it blocked from ground level?

You might be able to drill a hole for access and shove a bendy rod upwards to shift a blockage.
If it's blocked to ground level then it's harder

Just by tapping the pipe I fairly certain it is blocked from below ground level so not sure what to do. It appears to be one complete length of pipe from the swan neck downwards as I can't see any joins.

Thames water have a general rule that if a pipe goes straight into the ground, it's probably a soak-away
This looks as if your soak=away is booked up with silt or something?

Digging out a soak-away is a big job.
I'd still be tempted to drill a hole and have a poke.
You can fix the hole by using a strap on boss, in the past I have just glued a bit of plastic over a hole and used big cable ties for additional strength

Sponsored Links
How would I remove the pipe from the ground? Would that mean disconnecting it from the top?

Sorry to persist with this and your help is much appreciated. I'm wondering if rather than drilling a hole in the plastic if it is possible to cut out a small section of the downpipe near the bottom to give better access to poke around in the bit underground. If successful in clearing the blockage to then insert a new connecting piece of downpipe to rejoin the gap? The downpipe appears to be all one piece from the bottom of the swan neck at the top. I attach a photo of where it enters the ground and the top if this helps.
P1050578.JPG
P1050579.JPG

Sorry to persist with this and your help is much appreciated. I'm wondering if rather than drilling a hole in the plastic if it is possible to cut out a small section of the downpipe near the bottom to give better access to poke around in the bit underground. If successful in clearing the blockage to then insert a new connecting piece of downpipe to rejoin the gap? The downpipe appears to be all one piece from the bottom of the swan neck at the top. I attach a photo of where it enters the ground and the top if this helps.View attachment 184387 View attachment 184389

Not sure that is one piece. A roofer would be able to disconnect that from the top without too much trouble i,d have thought. Then remove it from the top down.

Unless its glued together. The downpipe is relatively cheap to replace tho worst case scenario. Think that would be the better approach than trying to get into it from below. Clearing the blockage would be much more doable that way imo. Although better advice might be on the way. Best to fit a small gutter downpipe ballon after its refitted to help stop any further blockage in the future.

Thank you but where the black plastic pipe enters the brown piece at ground level is that just resting in there or attached in some way?

Thames water have a general rule that if a pipe goes straight into the ground, it's probably a soak-away
Don't know about Thames Water but a rwp can go straight into the ground without going to a soakaway . A trapped gulley is only necessary if it is a combined drainage system.

Would be nice to see pictures from further away.
I had a similar situation where the drain below the down pipe was blocked. I removed the lower brackets and was able to take the lower section out to access the drain.

Would suggest a similar approach if it is possible even if you can disconnect it from the swan neck

Would be nice to see pictures from further away.
I had a similar situation where the drain below the down pipe was blocked. I removed the lower brackets and was able to take the lower section out to access the drain.

Would suggest a similar approach if it is possible even if you can disconnect it from the swan neck

Many thanks for this. There is just one other bracket about half way up the drop behind which I assume there must be a join but not sure. I am going to try your suggestion and hopefully that will allow enough movement in the pipe at the bottom to be able to lift it up from the point where it enters the ground (assuming it is not secured by something in the ground). If I manage to clear the blockage below that I see you can get a small section of pipe that contains an access point which can be opened and closed so may insert one of those near the bottom to provide easier access in the future. Thank you.

Keep us posted, hopefully you can gain access with a bit of pipe wiggling.
What I have purchased but have yet to try is a Karcher gutter cleaner. It comes with a long hose and attachment to spray backwards under pressure.

This would be useful for pushing the hose into a blockage (I hope) and using jets to break it down

we had that attachment, and did not work very well, in a gutter, as it had quite a bit of moss/leaves in - would not go along , in the end used hands and bucket

Also difficult to get into the gutter near the roof tiles

also tried on a drain, with the power tool and not really poweful enough to clear a blockage, needed to use rods , which cleared immediately

i suspect the gutter cleaner will be OK on minor dirt filled gutters
also got quite wet in the process :)

Keep us posted, hopefully you can gain access with a bit of pipe wiggling.
What I have purchased but have yet to try is a Karcher gutter cleaner. It comes with a long hose and attachment to spray backwards under pressure.

This would be useful for pushing the hose into a blockage (I hope) and using jets to break it down

So I released the bottom bracket and the one half way up. (That is as high as I can manage on a ladder). The downpipe is all one piece from the bottom of the swan neck. As per your suggestion this gave enough flexibility to release the pipe from the ground and boy did I get soaked from a fountain of water coming down the pipe. Anyway this gave me access to a plastic adapter in the ground which engages with some form of ceramic pipe which is completely clogged up with muck and roots. I have scooped out as much as possible but the blockage clearly goes way underground and I was not successful in clearing it. Still not sure if it goes into a drain or soak away. A relative of my downstairs neighbours has more tools so will be having a look on Tuesday. I wasn't sure whether to use a pressure washer into the hole or not for fear that it could just compound the blockage.

Good news that you have been able to remove the down pipe. Hopefully with a bit of jetting etc you can sort the situation and clear the blockage.

Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back