Swan neck restriction

Hi I was thinking that if you can ,like you say , screw and unscrew that pipe bracket on nearest side to you only ( so bracket stays on wall ... just unscrew the pipe ,manipulate the whole pipe , bends aswell , so it comes away from stop end outlet . And bring the whole lot inside to where you are unscrewing from , clear pipe out and replace back .. manipulate back into position and re screw . It’s really as easy as that , as the whole pipe by the look of it is only half a metre long and won’t be hard to manoeuvre . If anything breaks the pieces that do can easily be replaced .. I’d think about that hole in your soffits aswell block to stop creatures entering

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. I just came back from wickes after playing with the pieces. Some piece types fit together tightly, some piece types fit together loosely and would definitely need glue to work. The piece similar to the one at B fits tight on a straight pipe. So I am hopeful I will be able to pull the B piece off - not exactly pulling but pushing one side then the other side until loose enough to come off. I may be able to keep the bracket in place throughout, although I will be replacing the screws.

Over the years, no creatures have found that hole attractive enough to use it. Possibly the corner makes it difficult to use their wings. I will see if I can find a upvc plate to cover that externally. The hole looks to have been created by a leak in the concrete roof tiles. The overlap between the tiles is broken on the lower hidden side of the overlap. The break looks strategically placed above the nearest gutter brackets. So, I suspect another builder trap. Both the facia board and the bracket survived fine - not sure how the screws are doing. I will use a hybrid polymer sealant on the gap between the two tiles to stop or reduce the leak.

Do you mean I run water into it? The gutter is maybe 8 meters up. Does the water mains have the pressure to get up there? This may be a silly question because the loft tank sits at around the gutter level, and water does get up there. But I have no idea how the water mains work or if the mains water come from different pipes.

The loft tank is fed by the mains... I would imagine that any exterior taps would be mains fed, and not gravity fed.

My property is one of 4 terraced houses, second in from the left. Houses one and four have the downpipes. All was good until house number one replaced their guttering. We then had water running over the gutter where house 1 and 2 (me) meet. I mentioned it house number 1 and they got their roofers to drop their guttering slightly.

You haven't provided any photos of the downpipe below the hopper. Unless you can see evidence of water jumping over the hopper, I suspect that the fall on the guttering from your home to the house on the left is insufficient.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I have confirmed remotely the swan neck was clear. My initial idea of dropping in a steel chain was tried but unsatisfactory as it gave me no feel whatsoever. My next idea was dropping in a weighty ball of some kind. While I waited for ebay sellers to get back to work, I thought I'd try the next best thing: a weighty cylinder. So I used a 22mm short socket. The socket was hung being top heavy. If it got stuck somewhere, I could give it a small tug and release, and it would start tumbling again. The socket confirmed multiple times the swan neck was clear. Although I could not see the socket in the down pipe funnel, I could judge by the sound and reflection of light the socket was there.

The gutter overflow can be deduced to be over capacity or insufficient drop. Since the overflow isn't doing any structural damage to the facia board, I am going to leave it be. The water kills the paint. The water proof wood is in acceptable condition.

socket.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back