UPVC French Doors - Leaking Internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have a problem with my French doors leaking water in the rain.

I am in a flat, on the 3rd floor, south facing (taking the brunt of wind and rain) with french doors and a Parisian balcony. The building is 3 years old.

There has been plenty of readjusting of the doors in the first couple of years as the building settled but they've been closed for the last 4 or 5 months. I've not had a problem with ingress before, even during the storms in January. I adjusted the doors 4 weeks ago so that they opened and closed cleanly but there hasn't been any heavy rain until today to show the problem up. I have adjusted the doors many times before without causing a leak.

The water is coming in primary at the bottom left corner of the left door and middle of the right door.

This image displays the problematic area.

These doors have a concealed drain. The blue box shows where the drain point is. I have run water through all of the drain points and they are draining correctly to the exterior. There is also a weather bar on the exterior (which stops short of the end of the door by a couple of cm).

The Green circle is where water is coming in at the left hand corner.

The Red area references what I can best describe as a gutter. This is gutter is full of water along the length of the frame and I can't figure out where it is coming from. I'm also not sure why it is choosing these particular points to leak from rather than spilling over in the direction of the drain points and out to the exterior.

There is a tear in the gasket in the middle of the frame as shown in this picture.

However, when the doors are shut, this is area is compressed and flattened by the doors.

Apart from that, the gasket appears to be in good condition. It is fixed to the door and the frame so I would have trouble replacing it anyway.

I've read the applicable threads on here and I believe everything is installed correctly. I'm not sure what I can try next, any advice would be much appreciated.

David

Sponsored Links
First thing I would check are the drainage holes under the door sash's. Are they towards the external side or internal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back