Overflowing toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet has started to overflow when you flush the loo, sometime the overflow continues for about 30secs to 1 min and then stops, other times it keeps going until I flash the loo again a few times. Sometimes it does not overflow, just it feels up the loo again correct and stops the fill up.
I have taken the top cover off and tried lifting the float (in the pic attached pointing to with the red arrow) to the top to stop the water coming in when it is filling up but lifting it to the top does not stop the water flow (filling up). The blue arrow is pointing to where the overflow goes through/down.
Do I need to replace the whole fill value with something like this (Viva Skylo Bottom Entry Fill Valve -https://www.toolstation.com/viva-skylo-bottom-entry-fill-valve/p35993) or do I need to buy a specific one/model to go with the rest of the stuff in system?
Alternatively is it possible to repair/clean/fix the existing fill valve?

PXL_20231123_141459656.jpg

Any help, tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Turn the vertical X piece of plastic so the float goes down slighty, then flush and see if it overflows.

Andy

They are a doddle to remove and clean tbh.

Turning the X piece of plastic did not work - unfortunately.

Is there any particular parts that I should/need to remove and clean?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Sponsored Links
Possibly the diaphragm washer in the inlet valve has failed. If so, two possibilities:
1. Replace diaphragm washer. Isolate water, remove old washer and insert new one. You will need to know make and model of old valve to obtain suitable new washer. Otherwise remove old and take to decent plumber's merchant.
2. Replace whole inlet valve. The one you reference should be fine. Note picture shows plastic shank, description says brass. Brass is better.

Thank you, I managed to take it apart and clean the black rubber waster and it seems to be working fine again.
I took the whole fill valve out of the toilet.. which I after I did, realised I could have left it all fitted on the toilet and just taken the top off the fill valve to access the washer/diaphragm - know for next time I guess.
Thanks for your help guys - out of interest what are good fill valves to get if I was to replace it. The ones on screwfix and toolstation all seem to get mixed review??! The current one fitted is a R&T one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back