Toilet Bottom Entry valves - differences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
today my toilet wouldn't stop filling. I'm guessing the entry valve has some piece of crud stuck in it. My questions are:
Is there any point in trying to clean it out or should I just go for a replacement?

Is there any problem with simply replacing the current one with a generic off the shelf piece?
eg this one from Toolstation
https://www.toolstation.com/viva-skylo-bottom-entry-fill-valve/p35993

20210607_151239.jpg
This is what's inside right now

I have no idea if there are any specific things I need to know, though it seems like it would be a pretty straightforward job

Thanks in advance for any answers

Sponsored Links
Underneath the white plastic cap on top of the valve, to the left of your picture, will be a rubber diaphragm washer. These often go hard over time and fail to work. They are replaceable, but you will need to remove the old one first to see what type you have. How you remove the cap is also valve specific, although the general principle seems to be disconnect the fill level adjuster, turn cap anti-clockwise (sometime clockwise) 1/8 to 1/4 turn and remove.

If you decide to replace the entire valve, you need to be sure the new one will physically fit. The one you quote almost certainly will, but worth checking if a Fluidmaster one with a brass shank would fit. In my opinion they are better valves.
To change the valve:
1. Water off, flush WC, remove any remaining water (sponge / wet & dry vacuum).
2. Disconnect water inlet from threaded shank of valve under WC.
3. Undo nut (usually white plastic) securing valve shank to cistern. Under cistern.
4. Remove old valve.
5. Make sure new valve is same length as old one. Many are adjustable length.
6. Remove flow restrictor(s) if on a low pressure system and as advised in manufacturer's instructions.
7. Insert new valve, with rubber seal on threaded shank between base of valve and inside of cistern. If valve is cone shaped, narrow end down.
8. Securing nut onto threaded shank. If nut has raised circle near threaded part, this goes upwards to centre valve in cistern hole.
9. Tighten nut. Firm finger tight plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn should be sufficient. Make sure valve does not rotate inside cistern as nut is tightened.
10. Reconnect water inlet to base of threaded shank. Seal should be:
10a. If rigid pipe (copper, plastic) a new 1/2" fibre washer between base of shank and inside of connector. Make sure all remnants of old washer removed.
10b. If flexible pipe (metal braided rubber) seal should already be built in to connecting nut. If not, or damaged, 1/2" rubber washer.

Thanks for that, much appreciated, sorry it took so long to acknowledge but my DIY went to the bottom of my to do pile because of work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back