Overhang on joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Maybe a silly question. Flat roof - will overhang the outskin by approx 32cm. Of that - 20cm is a gully ( epdm lined ). All works a treat on paper :). My question - do the joists need to finish at the start of the cavity or can they extend into the cavity as long as they don’t touch the outer skin? Seems I would have more support for the overhang. But as the overhang is sitting on the outer skin - do I need to bother and should just cut them off at the wall plate?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
There will also be brackets on the blocks supporting the gully. I am overthinking this possibly….

Hi

Maybe a silly question. Flat roof - will overhang the outskin by approx 32cm. Of that - 20cm is a gully ( epdm lined ). All works a treat on paper :). My question - do the joists need to finish at the start of the cavity or can they extend into the cavity as long as they don’t touch the outer skin? Seems I would have more support for the overhang. But as the overhang is sitting on the outer skin - do I need to bother and should just cut them off at the wall plate?

Many thanks
Eh? Fist you say the joists will overhang the outer skin by 320mm then you say should you cut them off at the cavity or wall plate...? WTF?

Why is there a 'gulley' at the end of the roof?

Is that lintel suitable to carry the roof load?

Did the brickie use a dummy frame because those brick jambs look terrible.

Clearly was a silly question then. I said the roof will overhang - not the joists.

Sponsored Links
The questions is... will the roof overhang or not! because if it is to overhang! you will find not cutting the joists off useful...

I said the roof will overhang - not the joists.
Still just as baffled...? The roof and joists are one and the same. :confused:

Are the house lintel and the new lintel designed to carry the roof load?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back