overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a nissan micra 1litre 2001, it has developed a problem with the heater not getting to full temperature and the engine has stated overheating loosing coolant with the temp gauge hitting the red. Is this the head gasket & how easy/difficult & costly is it to repair.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like it I'm afraid, the pressure in the cooling system blows the water out of the overflow/filler cap and causes an air lock in the heater. How much it will cost depends largely on how easy it is to work on but I would expect it to be two to three hundred pounds unless its very easy

Peter

Its probably worth getting the thermostat checked out first, but I reckon it could be too late.....
Head off on the K11 isn't too bad, but it has a chain rather than a timing belt which tends to worry some people.
This particular Micra is prone to crumbly radiators at the bottom of the core, too which often triggers overheating issues.
John :)

Sponsored Links
AS above, but might be worth spending a bit of time on the following.

1. Take the thermostat out and refill with water, watch for overheating. Ensure the system is completely full of water and has no air locks especially in the heater (loosen small water pipes from engine to passenger compartment until you see water coming).

2. As the temperature rises watch and listen for the electric fan on the radiator to come on. If temp rises and no fan investigate.

If you still have problems with no thermostat fitted and the fan working, then look at the head gasket. But in my limited experience the gasket will cause violent bubbles in the cooling system and or oil/coolant contamination along with overheating.

So do all the easy stuff first

Back