Overlap panels none left woe is me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bugger called all my usual suppliers & more besides..........no 6'x6' s anywhere :cry:
Keep an eye on your fence if it's new, panels are being stolen to order here in Berkshire :evil:
Thermo seen as your in the same game, I heard today from crowtorne fencing suppliers that come Jan 2008 overlap / interwoven panels will be no more due to the raw material shortage you heard anything along this line ?

Well off to call some customers with the bad news that if they want a fence in the next couple of months it's gonna cost a bit more & they'll be getting closeboard :)

Sponsored Links
My local TP branch has told me the same, except they cant get cb panels either! What's going on?!?!?

Think I'll start making and selling the things meself

I've just managed to get my hands on 11 6x6 panels which have been on back order for 3 months.

Have been told roughly the same thing about future supply aswell. Not sure exactly how severe the problem is but we're pushing everyone towards closeboard just to prevent the grief of booking jobs only to cancel when the b***** materials don't show their face :evil:

Edit: check out the telegraph article. 80 quid a panel :confused:

its bad down here too. The supplies are coming through in dribs and drabs, although some suppliers are worse than others. The problem is down to teh chinese apparantly. Due to their building boom they are buying up the materials from the baltic countries at a higher price so the supplies are going to them. Lots of our mills downsized or shut down dut to the baltic imports and now we cant get the materials. Some fence making companies have gone on to three day weeks.

Weve had three big price hikes since christma for some fencing. Its the same for sheds, sleepers etc. I read a report in teh Financial Times and the fencing supplier (cant think of their name) who makes the stuff for all the sheds etc has a backlog of over 300,000 panels to make.

Most people are opting to go for closeboard now as the price difference is becoming negligable, however that means supplies of that are becoming scarcer.

Im lucky as my main line is landscaping, but i dont know how those who just do fencing are managing.

Sponsored Links
I picked up the last 8 panels from a supplier that had a delivery of 25 at 08:30 this morning.
Speaking to the driver he seems to think that the enviro agency have cut the quota of timber allowed to be felled & the stuff that is felled gets a better price when sold to the chinese for their booming construction industry, hence no fencing here.

I'm doing the same & pushing closeboard now, but apparently this is getting thin on the ground with some suppliers.
Back to the industrial/security jobs good old chainlink with barbed on concrete cranked top posts. :cry:

Im lucky as my main line is landscaping, but i dont know how those who just do fencing are managing.

Know of two local who have let the hired help go & another that thinks he's only got a month before he goes under, he's doing decking at the mo.
Trouble with some of these companies is that they sprung up to make a quick buck thinking fencing is easy & it is if your only doing panels/closeboard.
But they haven't got any idea on doing c/link, weldmesh/paladin, steels & the such.
Hopefully it wont cause to much grief to the small fencing companies.....like me.

A return to garden hedges maybe?

What's that small-leafed green hedge with a pleasant smell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back