Override valve on motorised valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think our motorised valve is faulty. We have CH but no hot water. When the boiler starts the valve whines and then the boiler stops. It has a light.
I have read some of the posts about putting the override switch on manual and putting on the CH.
When the HW is on you cannot move the override switch but you can when the HW is off. I have put it in the manual position and the CH is ON.
Should I now put the HW on or leave it off?
Will the water heat up like this?
How will the HW temp be controlled?

PS We are going to replace the valve but have to sort it out which will take a few days and would like a bath now

Thanks
Tricia R

Sponsored Links
what valve is make/model/type ?
what your saying don't really make sense to how a mot valve works.

The valve is a Horstmann 22mm zone valve.
If we put the valve on manual override (by moving the small lever and putting it in the notch) then if we have the Central heating on then the water heats up (and the radiators a bit). Should we also swith the water heating on at the boiler controls.
How does the temp of the water get controlled or do we just switch it all off after a while.
Thanks
Tricia R

No need to switch HW on at the boiler as you have manually opened the valve thereby negating the need to switch at the boiler.

As your central heating water circulates some will pass through the coil in the cylinder heating up your hot water in the tank

*edit* can't regulate the temp of the HW, id just switch off the central heating after 40 mins or so... should have nice HW by then. Its not like you need the CH on anyway in this weather :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Put the lever in the manual position if you have one valve with 3 pipes to it. If you have 2 zone valves, with 2 pipes to each one, then put both levers to manual. This will send heated water to both HW and CH. Run the heating for about an hour, or until the HW is heated up enough.

On Monday, call a plumber, as your motorised valve is knackered.

you might have an immersion heater already installed on your cylinder, have a look for a cable running from a switch to a connection on your cylinder, it might look something like this
View media item 24502

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back