Oversite concrete under timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I've recently lifted the floorboards on my 1950's house to reveal some damp in the timbers. The damp was coming from 5 completely blocked air bricks and the raised ground level outside. Both have since been rectified and I also intend to insulate between the joists

The ground in the sub floor space (about 18 inch from bottom of joist) was covered in a thin layer of (ranging from about 2mm to 20mm) of what seems to be similar to a concrete but missing the ballast mix. This is quite soft and is broken/missing in places up to reveal the soil. If it makes any difference under the soil outside is clay

I'm now considering what to do with the ground in sub floor space. Apart from just clean it up and patch up the concrete is there anything that would be beneficial whist I'm here such as maybee...

Lay a vapour barrier?
Remove the odd existing "concrete" layer and lay a thicker more consistent concrete bed
Do both?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Woody, Thanks for the reply. So just patch it up you think?

I was thinking that a vapour barrier or concrete layer might reduce any moisture that may be coming out the ground but at the same time didn't was to create a problem that was not already there

There won't be any advantage in messing about with vapour layers or membranes. Patch it with concrete or gravel, and the airbricks will deal with keeping the timbers dry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back