oversized boiler?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently have an ideal classic NF50 regular boiler (giant cold water tank and small tank in loft, plus hot water cylinder in airing cupboard on 1st floor). this boiler lives in a 3 bedroom detached house and i'm pretty sure it has been in since day zero. which makes it about 16-20 years old and possibly coming to the end of its lifespan.

since moving in, we've
1) converted the garage into a playroom/utility. this involved removing a 90cm width radiator in the hallway and replacing it with a bigger one that's about 1.5m in width just under the window sill in the conversion.

2) added a power shower (one of those with an integral pump - mira thermostatic event XS) into the family bathroom. the ensuite still has its old mixer shower with pathetic flow. not used much at mo but may consider getting pump on this one too in time to come when the kids are older? downstairs there's another communal toilet (just w/c and sink).

3) added a conservatory (no 'proper' rads in there tho! only an electric one). don't know if this is relevant!

in total - 9 proper radiators (including 2 towel rads which i like to keep red hot!) + power shower. there's quite a bit of hot water usage in this house (pots being done whilst someone having a shower). there's an immersion heater in the hot water cylinder but don't really use it that much cept in summer months. besides, the control panel allows me to turn on the hot water without having to switch on heating.

SO. last week or so i've gotten two quotes for a new boiler. because of the power shower, we're sticking to a regular boiler).

BG chap said to go with the worcester borsch greenstar 15ri. a quick google tells me my NF50 is 14.8 kW or thereabouts, so i guess it's a straight swap and pretty much logical seeing as the new boilers are meant to be more efficient.

local big-ish company guy comes round, thinks my boiler is 30kW for some reason (having not even looked properly on the control panel!), and recommends me a greenstar, but the 24Ri one!

so here's my question or ten
1) should i go for a happy medium of 18kW? 24kW seems to be a bit of an overkill as it's a whole 9kW above my current old boiler, which seems to be 'coping' at the moment anyway! after emailing him to say that my current boiler is 15kw and not 30kw like he thought, the local guy replies that 15kW would be slightly too little for our needs because of the 'extension' and the fact that we've got two little ones.

2) apart from the actual price of boiler (apparently differing by £100 or so, so not really a big deal as such), does it do any physical harm to the system if i get a over-sized boiler?

3) what about in terms of energy consumption (i.e. gas bills etc)? couldn't i just use the 24kW at a much lower setting or will that seriously set back the efficiency?

4) kinda irrelevant - is there any point in putting a TRV on a bathroom towel rad?!

whew. looking forward to a deluge of opinions!

Sponsored Links
A couple of quickies - 16 years old means NON condensing
50 means 50,000 btu/hr = about 15 kW

24kW would be silly - inefficient, and almost certainly a bigger gas pipe.

Add up your radiators. or use an online Boiler Sizing Method.
Allow more kW than they say for hot water, 3 isn't enough.

TRV on the bathroom rad - could do. They''re usually wide open anyway...

A couple of quickies - 16 years old means NON condensing
50 means 50,000 btu/hr = about 15 kW

24kW would be silly - inefficient, and almost certainly a bigger gas pipe.

Add up your radiators. or use an online Boiler Sizing Method.
Allow more kW than they say for hot water, 3 isn't enough.

TRV on the bathroom rad - could do. They''re usually wide open anyway...

oops. my bad re condensing, i meant just a regular boiler (as opposed to combi). can you tell i used to live in country much much nearer the equator where radiators and boilers are non-existent.

i can't tell what power my rads are. but i'm guessing if the 15kW came with the house right from the start then 18kW would not be a bad shout considering my extension and heavy usage of hot water. or do you think i should stick with 15 seeing as i've only replaced a medium sized rad with a slightly larger one and my current NF50 (which would be less efficient than a new 15kW one) seems to be coping fine?

nobody said nothing about a bigger gas pipe! argh!

You really need to size your boiler by the level of water draw not the heating demand.

If fitting a combi in anything but a flat I would usually say nothing but 30kW minimum, this is for hot water flow and not the radiator output. If fitting a heat only boiler or system, again I would decide how many baths you are going to run and how quick you want the cylinder to reheat.

Modern boilers can modulate, so they can go from say full power to 25% power (might say something like 1:4 modulation in literature etc). Generally its not the power output that screws up efficiency its the on/off cycling.

My philosophy is, you can always turn the power down but you can't go the other way - hence bigger is usually better.

I hope that assists

Sponsored Links
The answer is simple.
Forget about trying to work out the answer so you cant tell the installer, that is totally ass about face. Would you go to a forum to find out what medication you need, so you can tell your doctor?
Find a good installer, and HE will tell YOU what you need.

You really need to size your boiler by the level of water draw not the heating demand.

If fitting a combi in anything but a flat I would usually say nothing but 30kW minimum, this is for hot water flow and not the radiator output. If fitting a heat only boiler or system, again I would decide how many baths you are going to run and how quick you want the cylinder to reheat.

Modern boilers can modulate, so they can go from say full power to 25% power (might say something like 1:4 modulation in literature etc). Generally its not the power output that screws up efficiency its the on/off cycling.

My philosophy is, you can always turn the power down but you can't go the other way - hence bigger is usually better.

I hope that assists

sorry but i'm not getting a combi! just a regular condensing boiler!

what a durn nice fella you are ben ;)

jus have to convince err indoors now :LOL:

for the op

your better with a steamer being slightly undersized (keeps it condensing longer)
but if your planning on building another bit on then you want to be slightly bigger

this peice of string is a foot long ;)

what a durn nice fella you are ben ;)

jus have to convince err indoors now :LOL:

for the op

your better with a steamer being slightly undersized (keeps it condensing longer)
but if your planning on building another bit on then you want to be slightly bigger

this peice of string is a foot long ;)

ooh er. we're pretty much extended out (garage converted, conservatory) tho NO LOFT CONVERSION in the pipeline no matter what my husband says. no offense but having had the conservatory take over 6 months (yes you read that right) i've definitely developed an aversion for 'getting the builders in'.

i went to have a look at one of these boiler sizing tools online and managed to work out that my rads take about 8-9kW. the website said add 3kW for hot water cylinder (and someone else said that wasn't enough, so i'll go with 4kW), and add 10% for very cold winter. brings me up to 14-ish.

3 kw allowance for hw used to be the norm for a gravity system
a high recovery cylinder will take double that at least
a megaflo will be off the scale ;)

go 18 then ;)

3 kw allowance for hw used to be the norm for a gravity system
a high recovery cylinder will take double that at least
a megaflo will be off the scale ;)

go 18 then ;)

i don't think mine is a high recovery cylinder, or a megaflo. oh and how long does a hot water cylinder last anyway?

am thinking of 18. can't go wrong with a happy medium eh?

yeah your in the ballpark ;)

cant really say without seeing the job :eek:

how long a cylinder will last depends on the water

personally if yer gonna lash out on a new boiler have the cylinder replaced with a high recovery :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back