oversized boiler?!

Sponsored Links
If your cylinder has a red jacket, then you will be wise to replace the cylinder as current cylinders have better insulation and bigger coil to heat the water quicker. But if you want a dry loft, you may want to look at unvented cylinder.Red jacket cylinder will lead to erratic operation if coupled to new boiler. Also, heat loss from cylinder, while OK for drying washing, is unacceptable.

Rule of thumb.

Red jacket cylinders needed 3kw allowance. If radiators totalled to 12kw, your boiler would have been 15kw minimum. In most cases, boiler would have been slightly bigger then adjusted down to 15kw.
Modern cylinder coils are bigger (already said), with unvented cylinder coil being massive (rated around 24kw). 15kw boiler will be working full time to heat the cylinder. Once the cylinder is hot, then boiler can be used to heat the rads. Cylinder heat up time is extended as it would not be getting the heat it can handle

Modern boilers are like cars with cruise control. When you resume cruise control, car picks up speed to reach the set speed and then cruises at that rate. Similarly, boiler will run at max to reach the control set temperature and then (in most cases) go to lower burn rate to match the heat output to satisfy the load (radiators or cylinder)

Answer simplified for sake of explanation

Sponsored Links
The BG guy will have selected the 15RI based on the heat loss of the house that he has to input in the computer

the 18RI will need a 22mm Gas supply if theres not one there already

I am registered, not in the UK though. Pillock.
As we tend to deal with the British and sometime Irish market, that makes you not registered; an Afghan document isn't worth a lot here.

With due respect, you said when have I legally fitted a combi, I answered your question to which you can only rubbish my username some more.

I would be ashamed to call myself an engineer with your lack of knowledge.

so. now that we've talked to a Real Life Plumber we've decided on having a 18kW boiler.

today's plumber (no.3) wasn't keen on Worcester Borsch and said he prefered Ideal. he also said something about a Magnaclean, which from what i understand is a magnetic system filter that keeps the system free from sludge.

previous plumber (quote no.2) kept insisting not to bother with it as our system is copper and copper doesn't rust?! to which i later thought - what about the rads, they're steel aren't they?!

BG's 'heating advisor' (1st quote) said 'any reputable firm would definitely install a mag system filter'. )

any thoughts/experiences anyone about the requirement for Magnaclean (or some other magnetic filter) and the reliability of Ideal regular condensing boilers? (current boiler is an Ideal and hasn't broken down in the last 5 years we've lived here...)

Look, I realise that people with less than 200 posts on this forum get little to no respect from fellow RGI flavour members.

But I strongly suggest you read the installation instructions for an 18RI boiler before you next install one.

If your cylinder has a red jacket, then you will be wise to replace the cylinder as current cylinders have better insulation and bigger coil to heat the water quicker. But if you want a dry loft, you may want to look at unvented cylinder.Red jacket cylinder will lead to erratic operation if coupled to new boiler. Also, heat loss from cylinder, while OK for drying washing, is unacceptable.

Rule of thumb.

Red jacket cylinders needed 3kw allowance. If radiators totalled to 12kw, your boiler would have been 15kw minimum. In most cases, boiler would have been slightly bigger then adjusted down to 15kw.
Modern cylinder coils are bigger (already said), with unvented cylinder coil being massive (rated around 24kw). 15kw boiler will be working full time to heat the cylinder. Once the cylinder is hot, then boiler can be used to heat the rads. Cylinder heat up time is extended as it would not be getting the heat it can handle

Modern boilers are like cars with cruise control. When you resume cruise control, car picks up speed to reach the set speed and then cruises at that rate. Similarly, boiler will run at max to reach the control set temperature and then (in most cases) go to lower burn rate to match the heat output to satisfy the load (radiators or cylinder)

Answer simplified for sake of explanation

my cylinder hasn't got a red jacket. it's a rather sickly pale lime green on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back