Oversized rads a good idea?

Developers are fittin them,code 4 properties are springing up everywhere.

Try googling the code for sustainable homes .

Sponsored Links
Developers are fittin them,code 4 properties are springing up everywhere.

Try googling the code for sustainable homes .

Any that have been fitted will be ripped out out in about 5 years when gas totally underprices them. The size of the new gas field was only announce last month. Fracking will continue to get the gas out. Blackpool gets it water from the nearby Lake District, so gas cannot seep into drinking water as occurred in Texas.

It's not on gas situations where it's viable to look at heat pumps for existing developments,never has been nor will be,it's jut like the op where they use LPG/oil.

Regardless of the gas we find,the push for sustainability will lurch on,new develoements in 2016 will have no gas.(micro generation maybe included but at present isn't)

They won't be ripped out,gas isn't being installed into these developments,if you ain't got a gas service it doesn't matter how cheap gas is.

It's not on gas situations where it's viable to look at heat pumps for existing developments,never has been nor will be,it's jut like the op where they use LPG/oil.

Of course off the gas mains they may be used. But they were on about fitting them in place of gas condensing boilers.

Regardless of the gas we find,the push for sustainability will lurch on,new develoements in 2016 will have no gas.(micro generation maybe included but at present isn't)

They won't be ripped out,gas isn't being installed into these developments,if you ain't got a gas service it doesn't matter how cheap gas is.

You totally missed it. The size of the field was only announced last month. A finding on fracking will be in around a month. No more expensive, volatile gas imports from the Middle East or Russia. The situation now is very different and matters will change. I am sure there are plans somewhere to put heat pumps in and these will go ahead. In a years time you will find there will be no plans for heat pumps to be fitted where mains gas is available. The situation now is very different. When they discovered North Sea Gas the media went wild - in about 18 months they converted the first district from town gas to natural gas. This find has hardly made ripples.

You will find mains gas will continue into village as it has been for the past 25 years.

Sponsored Links
Or an "accumulator" as the big akvatherms are known.
A fan assisted unit is an option and a lot cheaper than gasifiers. And you don't necesarilly need the large resovoir of energy storage.

Does anyone have experiences of heating a 3 bed house (or similar) with an air to air system? I'm assuming I would need a split system and would have to address DHW separately.

Also has anyone had any experiences of a gasification/biomass boiler?

Eg hassle, running costs, savings...

I fitted this in a relatives house about 14 months ago.
http://kotly.com/popup_image.php?pID=1618

It was £1700 for the unit from a local supplier. I see Kotly have it advertised @ £869 on their website. :eek:
Its twinned with an oil boiler using nrv's and a few other gubbins though its never used now.
Its burning wood mostly and household garbage.
Ai-air heat pumps? Have fitted a few thousand but commercial mainly.
Banks, office blocks, supermarkets etc.
Did do the odd one in large new build properties where wealthy guys wanted air conditioning in their home offices.

Thanks Norcon.

Well in terms of wood/biomass I am quite early in my research.

This is a unit that has caught my eye http://www.centralboiler.com/e-classic.html#1450 which is now being sold in the uk.

Problem is the price tag! £10k plus. So too rich for me, seeing as I need a thermal store too.

Despite the hassle of a wood/biomass option I do think this seems like a natural choice for us. It would be a fun thing to get into (all the neighbours have aga's and rayburns round here). And as I say I can only imagine there is a wealth of wood suppliers in our area.

I just dont want to lose my life to it at the same time.

Does anyone have an idea of how many tons of seasoned wood a family of 4 in a 3 bed would need a year and very rough costs for installation and running costs?

The unit has to be located outside, hopefully in a shed. My partner has asmtha you see. Having said that it makes total sense to have something like this outside.

Any more help is much appreciated.

Thanks Guys - both great suggestions.

So looks like we're talking £4-7k for the unit. That's doable.

I'm a bit sceptical on the pellet idea...purely because it's a manufactured product so could get more expensive inline with fossil fuel increases as it's an alternative. eg pellet suppliers will see gas prices go up so they will push their prices up.

Logs on the otherhand I feel will be in greater suppy around where I live - and if all else fails there's a forest on my doorstep!

however I imagine storing logs is a lot more space consuming and hassle?

If I went for say the Baxi Solo Innova, how much ourdoor storage for logs will I need. And how often will it need filling?

No it's not,it's refered to a either a buffer vessel or load levelling store or an obscure term would be pressure break bottler,thermal stores tend to produce DHW(can't think of any that don't) where as the other 2 don't.

The point is....
In a domestic setup, you may as well take the DHW off it as well.

Let's face it Anus, you're talking sh.te all the time! You're a Sludge Bucket Salesman and no one is buying your sales drivel.

I see the Cowboy is at it again.

images

Thanks Guys - both great suggestions.

So looks like we're talking £4-7k for the unit. That's doable.

I'm a bit sceptical on the pellet idea...purely because it's a manufactured product so could get more expensive inline with fossil fuel increases as it's an alternative. eg pellet suppliers will see gas prices go up so they will push their prices up.

Logs on the otherhand I feel will be in greater suppy around where I live - and if all else fails there's a forest on my doorstep!

however I imagine storing logs is a lot more space consuming and hassle?

If I went for say the Baxi Solo Innova, how much ourdoor storage for logs will I need. And how often will it need filling?

Also what happens in the summer with these types of biomass/wood fueled boilers?

Is it similar to a rayburn where you would not use it from April - October and rely on immersion or other for DHW?

Or are they intended to be used all year round?

We have PV's covering the whole south roof (2kw) so no space for a hot water solar panel to supplement the thermal store.

You seem to have been badly advised!

Solar PV gives about 90w per sq m.

Solar thermal gives almost 900w per sq m

Solar thermal is the only technology which is almost cost effective!

Tony

MCS

The training guys at the show were saying that all the solar qualifications were being changed early next year and everyone will need to retake the assessments!

They also have one for rainwater harvesting!

PV for feed in at the present FIT is far more beneficial to your finances than solar thermal.
PV on a 16panel roof should generate an income of circa 2K per anum,solar thermal might save you 60% of your DHW so roughly less than £ 200PA.

As usual Agile,way off the mark and out of your depth.

Lee, why do you think I am off the mark?

If 16 PV panels can provide £2000 pa then 14 panels would give £1750 so £250 has been lost.

If two solar thermal panels were fitted in their place they could give up to £250 saving depending on HW consumption and any government subsidies. In practice for a family of four its usually considered the saving over the purchased energy costs could be about £200 but that increases as tariffs increase so not far short of the loss of income from PV panels.

So the thermal would be a very similar financial implication and far more green if anyone was honest enough to admit that the current PV feed in tariff is totally false and unstainable.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back