P/b is moisture-permeable but plaster doesn't breath. How ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Just thinking about all the insulation questions and answers that say p/b is moisture -permeable, but then also thinking of all the things I have read that say plaster on walls doesn't breathe.

Can someone explain this for me ? The p/b is highly compressed, has two layers of paper covering and is permeable but plaster applied with the pressure of a float becomes impermeable ??

Enlightenment welcomed !!

Sponsored Links
Water vapour and water droplets are very different.

This is the reason that gore-tex works. ;)

Like Noseall, I don't have the answer :LOL: But I suspect that gypsum based plaster does breathe to some extent, but not as much as lime, which is also somewhat 'plastic'

@ noseall

Sorry , do not understand your reply. In neither case are water-droplets in evidence.

We are talking about moisture migrating neither through p/b or plaster and in neither case about evident droplets but environmenmental-borne moisture.

Sponsored Links
Air pressure inside a room can force the moisture through the P/B, whereas the moisture in a wall trying to escape is not under that pressure.
The gypsum will however soak up moisture, whereas lime mortar has a different structure and will allow air and moisture to pass through it.

Thanks for all your comments: I have to say noseall that your reference to Gore-Tex raised a smile as being a passionate skier, I'm interested in that kind of clothing, but have never been absolutely convinced of everything they say.

Stuart45

I am certain that the air-pressure will always be equal inside and outside the house. There is likely to be a difference in moisture content ( hygroscopic pressure ?? ) and I can see this forces a migration of water-vapour from one environment to the other but this would equally apply to moisture trapped in a wall.

Air expands as it heats up, so warm air in the house will be of a higher pressure, and 'expand through' the structure, taking any water vapour with it.

Air expands as it heats up, so warm air in the house will be of a higher pressure, and 'expand through' the structure, taking any water vapour with it.
So that`s why me ears pop when I go outside :idea: I`ll have to be careful. I`m a Fat Bastard . I`ll end up like Goldfinger :!: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back