Sandstone basement damp proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

I'm currently hoping to damp proof my basement to use it as a living room and I'm wondering if anyone could give me any pointers of which method to use.

Basically the basement is in an old sandstone house and used to be used as a coal cellar and then a bedroom when my grandparents tanked the walls (I think with some kind of cement and waterproof paint). The room has been reasonably dry but over the last 5 - 10 years has become more damp and although there's no water it does ruin furniture and anything in there for too long!

The basement has 2 walls which have the dampness problem, both of which are either fully or partially underground and on the external walls.

I think I have three options:

1. I cement tank the walls with Vandex, Sika or another one I found called Permaguard or similar and follow up with renovating plaster. The walls have been previously cement tanked as in the pictures but it seems to have failed and dampness seeps through. With this method I worry about trapping moisture inside the old sandstone bricks, is this a problem, wont they disintegrate?

2. Lime plaster the walls with a few coats, lime wash the walls, buy a dehumidifier and "let it all breathe". My worry here is will the room actually be dry and will the dehumidifier need to be run 24/7.

3. Membrane the walls. The floors are already raised on 4inch high studs which I *think* have concrete and plastic sheets underneath but I'm put off by having to basically somehow drain the channel outside the house and I don't want to use a pump as the room will be a living room.

So the question is: Which of the above three methods is the correct or best method, which is easiest and can it be done DIY, and most importantly which will cause no damage to the basement walls themselves. Also should I, and is it safe, to remove the current cement tanking without the wall collapsing or something insane like that!

Sorry its a long post, thanks for reading and thanks for any replies... especially interested if people have had any experience of these methods themselves. Thanks for any replies, even if anyone has some detailed guides relating to this job on sandstone walls!

The worst part of the wall for damp, salt deposits (efflorescence), concrete tanking here is actually very smooth!

A part of the corner where I removed the tanking to see what was underneath, seems like 1 layer of cement (2 around the doorway). There's possibly a very thin second layer of cement for the main wall area. Sandstone exterior wall is kinda damp but seems in decent condition.

The wall as a whole, some areas are bulged either because of poor cement laying, blown tanking, or uneven sandstone bricks behind.

Sponsored Links
No insights from anyone? I wont bite I promise!

Would this post perhaps have been better made in the plastering forum rather than building?

I've read countless threads on this site relating to damp proofing so I guess its a bit of a worn subject by now, but I can't seem to find anything specifically relating sandstone outer walls... that or I'm being blind! :)

Again any help appreciated if anyone knows which of these methods is easiest / will provide the best results!

Sandstone walls can be very durable, I would remove any thing that is not securely stuck to the walls so if the existing render is loose, then remove it. Essentially there are two methods of keeping water out when access to the outside of the wall is unavailable.

The first is a bitumous membrane or 'waterproof' render stuck to the inside of the wall. These systems rely on very high quality workmanship and attention to detail for a 100% success. These methods rely on sealing up the wall to ensure no water or damp can penetrate. Easier said than done. They also rely on something on the inside such as a block wall to hold them in position against the pressure of the damp trying to push them of the surface of the walls.

The other is a 'free to drain' method is a dimpled plastic membrane system such as Newton 503 mesh http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/products/product.aspx?productId=57&catID=5 This membrane allows any moisture to get through the wall and if there are any droplets it trickles down the wall into a gulley at the junction of the floor and the wall. It is importanat (and may be quite tricky for you to ahcieve as you have done a floor membrane already though) that the new wall membrane is joined properly with the floor membrane and drain though: refer to the drawing mentioned at the end. This gulley needs to run around the perimeter of the below ground walls and needs to lead to an outside wall and exits through to the outside so no need for a pump. The beauty of this system is that it still allows the damp to penetrate the masonry but it cannot penetrate the membrane and is drained out to the outside. It is suitable for DIY and is quite forgiving as waterproofing methods go. Not particularly cheap to install I grant you but given that other methods are a lot more susceptible to failure this method could easily work out to be the cheapest in the end and is fairly foolproof for DIY. You can then render or stick insulated plasterboard to the inside directly to the membrane. Have a look at the manual http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/content/PDFs/InstallationManual_System500_Jan10_LQ.pdf page 31 drawing JN5012

The BBA certificate give pretty clear instructions on installation page 5 http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/content/PDFs/503 Mesh BBA.pdf

Feel free to ask any questions.

You know , I`d just uncover it - put in the dehumidifier and later just paint it with a breatheing paint :idea: To me , it looks quite attractive stone ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies! That's come great info there Freddy, I'm actually quite interested in the membrane now especially if it is easier to install than cement. It is more expensive (not massively so) but as you say it seems far more forgiving and foolproof, certainly more so than cement falling off a wall!

I'll need to lift the floorboards to get a good look at what membrane is already under there to see if I can patch onto it and figure out how I can run the drainage channel... but unfortunately that will have to wait till next weekend :(... I'm sure more questions will ensue ;P.

Also I plan to put up wooden studs and then face it with plasterboard rather than go right onto the membrane with plaster, I'd have done this as well to brace the cement tanking if I had gone that route too (I'm not that bothered about losing 2 to 4 inches of the room to be fair.

Thanks for the reply Nige - I know the stone does look nice, and if there was a fireplace behind there that might have been a nice feature too but I'm afraid it would possibly be a tad too damp without the wall covered in some way. Like I say I think it was some kind of coal storage room in the original design so I'm not sure they were bothered about dampness!

Anyways, until I lift the floorboards and see whats going on there thanks added to both your accounts and I'll try to keep up with any pictures incase anyone is interested!

tell us about the ventilation.

if little moisture is coming through, you may keep the room dry (or drier) with good ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back