P.I.R's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to switch one security light from two different places using PIR's. Is there a product to do this or do i have to get 2 off PIR's and wire them into a light? If this is the case is there a standard wiring solution for this practise?

Sponsored Links
The PIRs will have a live, switched live ( to the lamp ) and a neutral.

Wire the two PIRs in parallel to the supply. Live to Live and to live supply, Neutral to Neutral and neutral supply.

Wire the two switched lives in parallel and connect the lamp between switched live and neutral.

Connect earths where needed.

Thanks for that. I am assuming that wiring it in parrallel means the switch rating stays the same. i.e. if i purchase a pir that can switch 500 watts, then doubling up means i just need 2 pirs that can both switch 500 watts?

jjrenolds said:
Thanks for that. I am assuming that wiring it in parrallel means the switch rating stays the same. i.e. if i purchase a pir that can switch 500 watts, then doubling up means i just need 2 pirs that can both switch 500 watts?
If they are both switched on, theoretically the circuit could take 1000w, but that wouldnt happen often so you'd burn the contacts out in them.

If you have 2 500w PIRs, the circuit shouldnt have more than 500w of lighting.

Using contactors or relays means you can switch an infinite load. ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that, it hadn't occured to me to use a relay, what a great idea.

I'm done on this one then, thanks for your help

I thought most PIRs that control lighting used relays anyway or do they now use Triacs?

-Neil

neilsumner said:
I thought most PIRs that control lighting used relays anyway or do they now use Triacs?

-Neil
They use weedy contacts that can only just handle the rating specified. ;)

I'd try and maske sure the PIR's you used were contactor based anyway (just listen for the 'clunk' sound as they pull in!), triac ones might not react too happily being connected in parralell :?: If they were traic based I'd advise you to consult the maker before using them anyway.

Strictly speaking, you probably should consult the maker anyway as to the suitability of their products to be connected in this way, but as long as you used contactor based devices, I cannot see that it would present any issues

Crafty said:
neilsumner said:

-Neil
They use weedy contacts that can only just handle the rating specified. ;)

Crafty likes to hear a satisfying, echoing "CLUNK" as his relays kick in... :LOL:

RACALITE TEST PROCEDURE
WARNING
Mains voltages exist under controller cover. Do not connect or dis-connect any wiring while
mains power is still applied.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: High sensitivity (e.g. 20k Ohm/V) multimeter.
FUNCTIONAL TESTS
1. Switch controller to “automatic” operation ad slide switch to “walk test” position;
observe lights (load). Wait at least 1 minute for system to settle.
If the lights activate when no movement is present in front of the heads; Go to 3.
Activate each head in turn. If not all heads active; Go to 4.
2. Remove mains power. Disconnect the “daylight sense” wire from the controller.
Switch to “automatic” and “1” minute. Apply mains power and allow the system to
settle down. Trigger the system once. Measure the time that the lights are on - this
should be approximately 1 minute. Repeat for “5” and “10” minutes. If times are
wrong; Go to 3. Remove mains power. Reconnect daylight sense. Switch to “1”
minute, apply mains power, allow system to settle (wait at least 1 minute) check that
daylight disable operates and system cannot be triggered during daylight.
NOTE: In mult-head system the daylight sense terminal from only 1 head should be
connected to the controller. Choose the head which is in the brightest location.
VOLTAGE TESTS
3. Switch controller to “automatic” operation and slide switch to 1 minute. Measure the voltages between the following points:-Terminals
L&N 240 Vac (120 Vac on RLCIA)
All voltages are positive and measured with respect to “12V Power - “
“12V power +” 11.5 - 12.5 V
“Trigger” - untriggered 8.5 - 11.0 V
- triggered 0 - 1.5 V
“Daylight sense” - day 8.5 - 11.5 V
- night 0 - 1.5 V
* This voltage is only present momentarily while there is movement in front of the head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back