P.O.C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys still new and still doing acs.

got a littel problem though with products of incomplete combustion, sure someone will help me out on this littel teeny enquiry.

what ive done ive taken my living flame out for a service and found evidence of poc on the inside( which is normal right????) the sooting was outside of the marble back panel upto the seal point behind the trim.

heavy sooting inside the chimney, which showed every possible crack and split hole and god knows what on the inside of the breast.

no external evidence flue flow took a 18 mtr pellet no problem spillage fine and so on, so why do's it have heavy sooting inside to ground level, when flue should make all products rise.

it is its first service andlong awaited and obviously my first solo service. am i looking into to deep or would you agree with the following

excessive sooting at low level inside breast could be due to down draft during first ten minutes usage(cold breast) or lack of service.

Sponsored Links
You say its the fires 1st service, Do you know if it was a solid fuel fire before the gas one was installed? and if it was, was the chimney swept before the gas one fitted?

used for gas previousley, was clean and tidy when this fire was fitted several years ago, however as i say its not been used much maybe ten time per year if that as we prefere central heating than single room heating

I wouldn't expect to see any sooting from a correctly burning gas appliance. Though there is no spillage I would be conscerned about flame impingement or vitiation, and would be in touch with the manufacturers.

I wouldn't have the fire in my house, or any other open flued or flueless gas appliance.

Room sealed for me and electric cooking.

Sponsored Links
has terminal been replaced?

A chimney pot (thats bedfordforshire terminology) are often installed to stop the ingress of birds etc. but can restrict the pull of the flue.

Dave

has class 2 terminal and is able to clear a 18 mtr pellet after flue has been warmed, hence enquiry as to whether down draft could cause the sooting as the flue is starting to warm.

i know as its living flame the combustion is more or less incomplete on most of them but im enquisative as to why its sooted when the flue should be pulling it all away.

gas rate is 7.1kw and within margins and paramaters of usage, coals are not numbered nor lettered which needs only to be placed as not to block openings in base block.

The combustion is not more or less incomplete it is incomplete....stick an fga on it!, but take it out very quickly before it kills the sensor. The soot build up is nor dissimilar to a coal fire depending on the strength of the flue pull.

no problem capping it off as condemned. seems there was problems with the galaxy commet mark 2 range and company folded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back