RICS Homebuyer Survey / Report - Serious Defects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this thread. Forgive me, I'm a newbie as well as a first time buyer.

I've had a survey done on a 3 bed semi (in East Midlands) I'm in the process of buying. The RICS Homebuyer Survey was conducted through my lender - I chose to upgrade the valuation to a survey. The report had a lot of '3' categories marked as red, several orange '2' and no green!

Most of the serious defects classed as '3' are making my head spin. I was hoping I could have some help to understand them (surveyor is out of office until Monday so I can't talk to him until next week!). I've read on the MoneySavingExpert forums that some classed as '3' are not as serious and only highlighted to cover the surveyor's back. Needless to say I would like every serious defect addressed before I exchange contracts.

Level 3 Defects are as follows:

Chimney Stacks - Two chimney stacks were noted to the main roofline; seen to be of a brick construction, lead flashed into the main roof covering and having open flues.
Both stacks were showing general signs of weathering to the pointing and a programme of repointing and upgrading will be required as a matter of course, together with capping and ventilating of redundant flues; especially as the rear chimney breast was seen to be redundant. What work is exactly needed? Is it a case of covering the chimney stacks to stop rain water etc going down? What would the cost be?

Roof Coverings - The main roof to the property is of a pitched construction with a covering of concrete interlocking tiles. This was showing general signs of weathering to ridge and hip tiles and immediate repointing and upgrading will be necessary. A Roofing Contractor's report should be obtained with all necessary upgrading undertaken.
There is a small section of flat roof over the two storey bay to the front elevation which could not be inspected and is liable to be of the more original felt type. As a consequence this is liable to require repair/replacement. Whilst the Roofing Contractor is on site this should be checked with any necessary maintenance and refurbishment works undertaken.
It doesn't state the whole roof needs replacing so am I right in thinking it's repairs to existing tiles etc? What's the likely cost of that?

Main Walls - Main walls to the property are of original brick faced cavity construction incorporating a blue brick dampproof course.
Window and door openings are largely original from the date of construction.
The external brickwork is showing general signs of weathering to the pointing down the side elevation and a programme of repointing and maintenance will be required to all elevations of the property.
There is evidence of a lack of lintel support, most evident over the rear kitchen window, and additional lintel support will be necessary. Slight movement was noted in the front bay at first floor level and as and when the windows are upgraded, additional lintel support and
improvement can be expected. A programme of refurbishment of the external brickwork will be necessary and a full assessment by a suitably qualified Builder should be obtained.
Additional support to the front bay can be expected when these windows are replaced, with slight movement noted to the brickwork.
Damp meter readings were taken internally and no significant levels of rising damp were noted.
Slight raised levels were noted to the rear where the dampproof course is slightly bridged by the height of the paving, although this is not considered significant at this stage but further maintenance cannot be ruled out in due course.

Windows - Windows around the property are of an uPVC double glazed type in excess of 20 years old and showing signs of wear to the opening casements. These are reaching the end of their useful life and due to the defects noted within the external brickwork and lack of lintel support, replacement would be considered beneficial with modern equivalents.
The windows have moved over time and further securing and maintenance works can be expected if they are to be retained. Provision for replacement, however, would be considered beneficial due to their age and type. Do I HAVE to have all the windows replaced now or can I have the opening casements replaced for now and have the windows and lintel sorted later?

Fireplaces, chimney breasts and flues - A fireplace was noted to the front living room, seen to have a living flame gas fire fitted, which has been upgraded by the present owners during their period of occupation. The rear chimney breast has been removed from ground floor level but was still seen within the bedroom above. This should be supported by a lintel within the floor and as a consequence should be checked by a suitably qualified Builder in the absence of Building Regulation Approval with any recommendations followed.
A balanced flue was noted to the gas fired boiler serving the central heating system. No significant defects were noted but the system should be subject to a check by a competent registered Gas Fitter.

Electricity - A certificate was not provided has been stated on the survey. In addition to this the surveyor has stated the below:
Mains electricity is connected to the property with the wiring being served by an original fuse board within the cupboards to the kitchen serving the various switches, sockets and light roses around the building.
A full assessment by a competent Electrician will be required with all necessary upgrading and improvement works undertaken.
Does the above mean the fuse box needs replacing as well as entire electric upgrading i.e. rewiring? Or just upgrade the fuse box?

Gas/Oil - Mains gas is connected to the property; service not tested. All gas appliances should be checked and overhauled by a competent registered Gas Fitter.
This is something I intend to have checked out - any idea on costs?

Heating - Central heating is provided by the wall mounted gas fired boiler within the kitchen serving steel panelled radiators around the property.
From the visual inspection undertaken no significant defects were noted but the radiator system is clearly older than the boiler and a full assessment by a competent registered Gas Fitter would be considered beneficial. Would the radiators need flushing / replacing?

Drainage - An inspection chamber was noted to the side of the property, seen to be a traditional brick constructed chamber with half round glazed piping supported in cement benching.
General weathering was noted within the chamber and repair and maintenance works will be required. A full assessment by a competent Drainage Contractor will be required with all recommendations followed.
The inspection cover is not the correct cover for this type of chamber and an additional cover should be provided so it sits properly on the framework.

I'm sorry that is a huge thread and thank you for reading if you made it this far.

If I could have the above translated in simple English it would be great. I'm not great with jargon.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
What an utterly useless report. If it was any good it would have answered all of the query's you have now. Typical Lenders Survey! Anyway photos, photos and more photos .......

Anything on a house will eventually require maintenance - the best get out clause in the surveyors handbook!

So I'm freaking out over nothing?! The lender's valuer has emailed my broker and asked for:

1. Drainage Report
2. Electrical Report
3. Estimate regarding pitched roof repair
4. Report from builder regarding chimney stack, chimney breast, and lintel over the window openings.

My broker said the lender's valuer needs to see the above documents before they can make a mortgage offer. Does that mean they have disregarded everything else in the report as not serious if they are only raising 4 points post survey?!!

Freddie has nailed it.....a typical surveyors report for which you pay dear - but they have to justify their existence.
Any house will need that sort of maintenance from time to time and its always ongoing to some degree. There's nothing glaring so far but close up pics would be great.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddie and John. I understand houses or any property for that matter will need attention and upgrading over time but some of the things mentioned are just ridiculous!

I have asked for the pictures.... I haven't received the survey in the post yet - I was sent an email with a pdf attachment last night. As I work away from home during the week I won't get to check my post until I get home tomorrow!

I can't believe buyers have to pay for such rubbish reports! I'm wondering if a different surveyor would have classed some defects as not so serious. Oh well, it's done now.

I will put up some pictures as soon as I get hold of them.

Freddie has nailed it.....a typical surveyors report for which you pay dear - but they have to justify their existence.
Any house will need that sort of maintenance from time to time and its always ongoing to some degree. There's nothing glaring so far but close up pics would be great.
John :)

I thought the survey looked OK, you can get a Homebuyers for under £400 these days so what do you expect? They have covered all the relevant points quite clearly and concisely, I've seen a lot worse.

As far as the house is concerned it seems that it is quite dated requiring some routine maintenance with a few rather questionable alterations such as the windows and chimney breast removal. The 4 additional reports requested by the lender seem reasonable except the drain survey, not sure why that has been flagged up but as you can get one for around £200 might as well just play along.

I agree with you, Wessex. The report was clear and concise but it was the number of serious defects that starting giving me palpitations. Not knowing how 'serious' they were I was assuming the worst as in 'am I buying a death trap?!'.... not trying to be melodramatic or anything.

I am also concerned about the windows/lintel issue and chimney breast removal. I don't understand why they'd remove the downstairs one but leave the one upstairs.

I'm not sure about the drainage report either.

I've forwarded the lenders requirements to the estate agent to obtain from the sellers - my broker suggested I do that. I've put together a list of 'serious' issues that need addressing by all an electrician, builder etc and I think I'll look in to getting at least 2 quotes for the roof, chimney and windows.

It sounds like a rather sad neglected property, was it an elderly resident who has gone into a home by any chance or a probate sale?

I would get your own quotes and reports so you are getting the full unbiased picture, the vendor will be motivated to play down any defects and seek advice to back that up.

It clearly needs work, new windows, possible installing lintels, repairs to the roof, probably a rewire and bits and pieces so as a total guess somewhere between £5k and £8k. As long as that is reflected in the asking price and you are happy to have the work done and have the funds to finance it then should be fine. Just make sure you go into this fully informed with all the facts and figures. Don't just assume everything will be fine and never trust the word of the agent or the vendor.

Pictures received via email:

upload_2016-9-15_13-40-12.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-40-52.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-41-46.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-42-34.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-42-56.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-43-15.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-43-32.png

upload_2016-9-15_13-43-54.png

The current owners who are retired have lived in the property for the last 25 years or so.

I am not prepared to trust the EA or the vendor - like you've said, they will try every trick in the book to play it down. At the end of the day, if these issues are as serious as they appear to be then any other buyer's survey will highlight them too. The vendor's will need to address it one way or another.

I have already got the ball rolling in terms of obtaining my own quotes. I will use the quotes as a form of renegotiation to bring the purchase price down only if they don't want to get the work done. I will not have the funds in place for the total cost of repairs (using £8k as an example) but I can borrow the money from family and repay them over 5 - 6 months after I've bought as I will be fortunate enough to have a good amount of disposable income - saving it all for the deposit and legal fees at the moment!

If they can get the work done before contracts exchange I am happy to wait. If they don't get the work done but agree to a price reduction I am happy to get the work done myself. If neither option is suitable for them, I'm going to pull out from the purchase.

Those are all the pictures they sent.... and not very good one's either!

I'm not a fan of getting the vendor to do the work. They will probably do the absolute bare minimum for the cheapest possible price.

Much better to get a price reduction and have it done yourself to a standard you are happy with. (assuming it warrants a price reduction)

I'm not a fan of getting the vendor to do the work. They will probably do the absolute bare minimum for the cheapest possible price.

Much better to get a price reduction and have it done yourself to a standard you are happy with. (assuming it warrants a price reduction)

I definitely agree with you. That is the route I am considering. They will most probably get a cheap job done which might leave me worse off in the future!

When we bought our house we had the bare minimum valuation report done that's compulsory by the mortgage lender.

We then instructed a local building surveyor to carry out a full building report, costing £500.

Knowing the property required some work, we thought we'd cover our backs for anything substantially wrong.

The building surveyor found a structural issue with a flat roof. Something I hadn't seen.

After receiving 3 independent quotes from builders we successfully managed to renegotiate our offer down by £2000.

I would never consider allowing the current owner to address the issues. As what has previously been said, they will do it at a bare minimum of cost.

In our situation, for an initial outlay of £500 and then a saving of £2000. By the time you consider the interest saved on the mortage, we are quids in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back