P trap problem - 1960s plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of replacing the taps on my bathroom basin. The top hat nuts wouldn't shift - so I decided to take the basin out to get better access. I tried to unscrew the waste pipe, but unfortunately the thread has snapped.

Judging by the date on the bottom of the sink (1965) it looks like it has been in situ for over 40 years. I'm now left with a metal P trap (brass?), with the waste back nut stuck on top.

Has anyone got any suggestions for how to remedy this? The only option I can see is to saw off the top of the P trap. Is there any way to then connect it back to the basin again?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if you get the nut off the basin grating you could use a 11/4" FI (female iron) x 32mm multifit adaptor, depending on the length of the adaptor you should be able to cut the trap to suit the height, if it is too short to fit cut the trap lower and fit a 32mm st coupling with a very!! small piece of pipe in between, either that or measure from the bottom of the grating to the centre of the pipe outlet and see what you can get from the merchants in the way of a new trap and some mixed fittings to work it back in

Thanks mate. How would I go about fitting to the P trap? Would I use a compression joint? Sorry, I'm new to this game...

Sponsored Links
if you can cut the stem of the p trap a McAlpinene multifit straight coupling (which is a compression fitting) will fit onto the brass/copper trap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back