Padded cell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my flat some time ago, and it's great, except for the bathroom where the previous occupant decided to tile the whole thing floor to ceiling with four inch white tiles and red grout. It looks like a padded cell. He also glued them on really well, so it's going to be very hard to get them off if that's what I decide to do. I've decided now that I want to sort it out. Any advice on what to do? I was thinking of maybe regrouting it in white - that would be some improvement at least. And maybe just remove the top few levels of tiles.

Sponsored Links
Linda Barker is an inspiration to us all. Since she has become a familiar figure on our TV, my design skills have come along in leaps and bounds. I therefore, feel that I must share my creative ideas with you for this project.

Get some tile paint in four subtely contrasting colours (such as red, green, avacodo, and black). Liberally, but randomly, paint the offending tiles.

Get a handfull of gravel, stick it to a roofing tile with silicone, stick the tile to a bit of mdf (slightly larger than the tile to create a nice border). Mount the collage on the wall, and tastefully drape a piece of seaweed around it.

Get a Victorian mirror from a reclaims yard. Preverably one of those expesive ones with beveled edges. Apply some patches of Dutch metal, (sticky back plastic may do as an alternative) in a random pattern onto the mirror. (When doing this ensure that you crease the Dutch metal and do try to trap some air bubbles too). If the Dutch Metal squares look too even, scratch them up with a Stanley Knife.

Try to obtain a genuine Chipendale wash stand. (Laquered Mahogany is ideal). Paint it using a mix of white emultion mixed with plaster and some added sand for texture. Once dry, rub down to give a "distressed" look.

Cut some random newspaper clippings from your local paper. Soak them in tea to artificially age them. Once dry stick them to your bath panel using PVA.

Find three dead twigs in the garden (say about 4ft long). Stick three empty plastic Coca cola bottles to a wall (using silicone). Put twigs into bottles.

Remove the doors from your bathroom cabinet. Using the doors as templates, cut some replacement doors out of a sheet of MDF. Cut out the shape of an amoeba from one of the doors and staple a piece of chicken wire to the back. Spray the other door using a car aerosol paint. Drizzle some paint remover over the painted door and allow to stand. Clean off the paint remover using a Brillo pad. Mount the doors to your cabinet using Velcro.

Using the colours of your favourite football team, paint alternating zigzag stripes across the ceiling.

Cover the floor using 1/8" stainless steel sheets. (this is very cheep, you can probably do the whole floor for less than two grand). Spend about an hour with a B&D Power File and a claw hammer to give the floor a distressed look.

Fix some angle beed to the floor parallel to all the walls about 6" from them. Fill this "trough" with 5mm feldspar chippings.

Put a deep pile rug in the centre of the floor. If you get neutral colour (beige) it will add that touch of class.

Set a meat hook into the wall about six inches to the right and six inches lower than the top of the window frame. Set another meat hook just under the window sill towards the left hand side of the window. Get a double bed sheet. Twist it to make into a sort of rope. Tie the ends using some real rope. Hook the ropes on the meat hooks to create a tastefull feature near your window.

BTW. You can now get transfers to put on the tiles. Try to get a few from each set (say a Carnation, a Rolls Royce, a Ballet Dancer, a few Dolphins and Big Ben). You can also add a touch of originallity by using some of those that you find in Airfix Model aircraft kits (Swastickas are very decorative and are a traditional design feature in India).

if you do decide to remove all the tiles just remember to wear thick gloves ,a hat & safety goggles.coz when you hit them its shrapnel all over the place,eyes,hair & if you get a sliver in your finger can cause a very deep cut. :cry:
but if you're lucky like i was just use a tile drill and start from the center with a thin filler knife or bolster and they should all come away in big sheets.might not though :D

Tex

May I be the first to congratulate you on your tribute to Linda Barker.

A Masterpiece....

Sponsored Links
TexMex, thanks for your suggestions. I got started on them as soon as you posted them. After two months I got to the point about painting the ceiling in the colours of my favourite football team. I don't support a football team, so I didn't know what I was to do for that. Obviously the effect wasn't going to work if I didn't get that right, so I decided to give up. I stripped everything off and have now painted the tiles in a limestone colour. It may not be up to Linda's standard, but it doesn't look bad and it was certainly easier than hacking all the tiles off.

I don't support a football team
Hooray, a kindred spirit. I would never have heard of David Beckham if he hadn't married Victoria Adams. Now the footballer I am really jellous of, is that one that married Louise Nurding.

have now painted the tiles in a limestone colour
Ah, I see you've decided to try something a bit more daring eh? I am actually a keen fan of Linda, (but I must be come clean, it's not her design skills I find interesting ;) ). I'd rather watch her do her stuff, than a football match, any day.

Oh dear, here I go again. Now what did my therapist say, oh..

Hi, I'm texmex, I'm a blondaholic.
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back