Paging Viesmann installers/users...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going for the Viesmann combi boiler as a replacement for my conventional Stelrad (Ideal I think)Concorde current one. I need to know of any known weaknesses or anything I need to be aware of with their boilers (other than the price :eek:). The Vitodens 100 is their newest one I think, but on ringing up their place in Telford the tech man suggested I go for the Vitodens 200...said it was better. Anyone able to help on this matter?...is that weather compensator sensor any use?

The boiler is going in the loft and will feed 11 radiators, 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen.

Sponsored Links
It is true the more people you speak to, the more opinions you will receive. Arguably the more confused the message will be.

Vitodens 200 series is a very Germanic product, and the weather compensated controls (not available for 100 series) will save you some energy over and above a non-WC system.

However, the WC works best in a house with uniform insulation values throughout. The controller is somewhat complex, some of our customers have had problems understanding it. One went into raptures over it, though, but he was a computer programmer.

At the end of the day it depends what you are looking for; a simple to use reliable product or a complex to use reliable product. Luckily Viessmann have a product for both.

Finally, the Vitodens 200 has a larger footprint on the wall, which does not match most UK kitchen unit heights, unless you have an imported German kitchen. This may not be of importance in your application but I thought I should mention it.

simond said:
It is true the more people you speak to, the more opinions you will receive. Arguably the more confused the message will be.

Vitodens 200 series is a very Germanic product, and the weather compensated controls (not available for 100 series) will save you some energy over and above a non-WC system.

However, the WC works best in a house with uniform insulation values throughout. The controller is somewhat complex, some of our customers have had problems understanding it. One went into raptures over it, though, but he was a computer programmer.

At the end of the day it depends what you are looking for; a simple to use reliable product or a complex to use reliable product. Luckily Viessmann have a product for both.

Finally, the Vitodens 200 has a larger footprint on the wall, which does not match most UK kitchen unit heights, unless you have an imported German kitchen. This may not be of importance in your application but I thought I should mention it.

Simond just how complex is the V-200...in other words, would my 'better half' (her who must be obeyed and feels the cold more) be able to understand it - if not, good!! ;) :LOL: Regarding the control, obviously as the boiler would be located in the loft, I need to be able to control it remotely (from down below :) )...does the V-200 with the W-C gizmo have a room thermostat/controller/programmer and do they do a wireless version.

The size isn't really an issue as it is in the loft...of the two, which would you go for?

I understand that the Vitodens don't have an in-built system by-pass - how should this be done, and should something be used in the cold water mains feed to the boiler to prevent scaling?

Sponsored Links
The Vitodens 200 WC can be wired remotely. At the current time there is no radio version approved for use in the UK. You can download a simplified version of the controls literature on the Viessmann website. I suggest you also download the rather more detailed operating guide book and show this to your wife.

Ragarding the bypass, this is the domain of an RGI to advise in your application. If you are not qualified I suggest it would be best if you gave the job to someone who is. If you are intending to fit the boiler yourself, I would rather not contribute any specific guidance, for reasons of liability.

But either model is good. In answer to your question of which one, you have the simpler UK market version, or the more featured and larger 200 series. If you get the 200 series you would be advised to get a Viessmann trained installer to fit it - there is a list on the web site. We (HWCH) are not in your area.

NB: I should add that if you remote the WC controller it needs another part. You can control most functions from the remote bus controller apart from the actual WC reponse curve setting - which has to be done at the boiler. This should not require to be changed after initial calibration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back