Paint colour for an accent wall in a dark room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd like to paint one or two walls in my living room green, but the room doesn't get much natural light (and those walls are the darkest). I found a photo online of the colour I'd like to paint it (attached), but all the samples I've tried look way too dark in the space. The lightest one I've tried so far is Little Greene's Garden, which is too dark, but I've also got a bunch of light sage green samples from another paint project and all of those look too grey/too light in the space. I'm hoping to get some advice about the colour I need before I start spending a bunch more money on samples that aren't right.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• d4d13522d6ee9d4077128f6d56d820c4.jpg
    d4d13522d6ee9d4077128f6d56d820c4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
If you happen to live near a Little Greene shop I would take this in. They can help you find something similar - not just from the two main colour cards either. They have their archive swatches, and they also have their paint and paper library. Should thay not suffice, they can also tweak and tone down colours for you - the recipe is then saved in your account should you want it again.

I do like their paints so I'd choose that option.

Failing thay, Dulux, Johnsons, and probably other paint shops will colour match from the picture. Accuracy can be hit and miss though so I'm told!

Oh and I just painted with 'Book Room Green' from them - a lovely colour, perhaps worth a look:

It's probably a bit light for what you want, but I have it a summerhouse which does not get tonnes of light and is quite low, it looks darker and richer in there than the picture from their website

Oh and I just painted with 'Book Room Green' from them - a lovely colour, perhaps worth a look:

It's probably a bit light for what you want, but I have it a summerhouse which does not get tonnes of light and is quite low, it looks darker and richer in there than the picture from their website
Thank you, this is helpful :) the problem I have is that since the darkness of the room makes all the colours I try look so much different on the wall, I'm not sure if taking that picture into a shop would help as the colour I need is probably way lighter than that to compensate for the lack of light in the room. Worth a try though!

Sponsored Links
The problem is probably the lighting then - ironically I discussed similar in one of their shops.

Also makes a difference what colour it is now in my view. If its say mid grey everywhere in that room then it all being white (or other bright colour) will make it brighter and make the feature wall closer to what to want.

Tis a tricky thing this colour business! Depends what way your room is facing too! The same colour can look totally different in a front of back of the house room. Arrgh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back