paint coming off brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys what do I do with these bricks ?? ( maybe i keep the plant :LOL:)
there is paint over paint, should i try to use a not too aggressive paint stripper (Biostrip plus) ?
not really sure if the bricks are in decent shape under that, or i will end up to need a render on it

20230130_150744.jpg

Sponsored Links
Paint causes problems when applied over bricks.
Check out skill builder YouTube channel

A decent power washer will strip the majority, but may leave bits and pieces. I would try that first and see what's left? If possible just leave it and let the leftovers peel themselves or, as a last resort, maybe use a mild stripper on any largish patches. Of course you will need decent access for that, but then you'll need access to apply strippers. Personally I would not re-paint them. Just make good pointing and masonry with appropriate (lime) mortar.

Could be that the original paint is an old water based limewash type finish which is very soft and powdery and modern paint struggles to stick to it. Especially if parts of the wall gets wet further degrading the limewash layer underneath the paint layers creating loose patches and flaking.

It is a nightmare to strip as you need to tackle the modern paint layers differently to the limewash making it a long boring process. Obviously try a small test patch to see what you are up against.

Also you need to get that dropped arch fixed.

Sponsored Links
right thanks guys, yes I'll give a try at the bottom to see how much pain it is with the paint stripper and pressure washer, and eventually rent a platform to do all of it.
I'll keep you posted on how much swearing is involved :LOL:
(I just got a quote for £6800 lol)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back