Paint cracks when drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of painting the walls in a room which has previously been painted with an emulsion sheen finish. After applying two coats with a roller I have noticed the new paint has tiny cracks all over it. Looks a bit like a lake that has dried out during a drought. Is this because I should have applied a primer or stabilizer of some sort before painting? And, if so, can I apply this now and simply paint again?
Mr Pickles

Sponsored Links
Sounds a classic case of matt emulsion on silk. Silk surfaces should be well sanded before applying matt emulsion. If this is the case anymore coats of waterbased paint ontop of this will make the mudcracking appear worse. The way out is to paint all with a thinned (white spirit) coat of solvent based undercoat. Then finish with two oats of your matt emulsion.

Sponsored Links
I have had this very problem this weekend and annoyingly cracking is in pacthes not everywhere. Would a coat of sheen paint cover the cracks or is the solvent undercoat and try again route the only option?

Any recommendation on a solvent based undercoat? Would own brand cheepies be OK or do you get what you pay for?

Can you apply the thinned undercoat with a roller or is a brush the only way to go??

Apologies for all the questions, after 2 days going over and over the emulsion I would like to fix it in quick time but don't want to further compund the problem(s). :confused:

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back