Paint cracking on new(ish) plaster - advice to recover gratefully received!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a plaster repair job completed, and having left it to dry out for a few weeks, applied some Farrow and Ball paint to the surface.
Two coats in with a roller and the paint appears to have cracked as it has dried, flaking away from the wall surface.
This is only in a couple of small patches, not the whole area.

I anticipated that newer surface might soak in more of the paint - but what is the advice to get an even finish across this surface now I've taken it to this point?

Thanks in advance for the experience and expertise

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220531-074143~2.png
    Screenshot_20220531-074143~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Can't pinpoint the exact cause yet, but here are some ideas:
1) New bare plaster wasn't given a mist coat before neat emulsion was applied?
2) There were some PVA splashes on the plaster surface?
3) The surface was dusty or greasy?

Farrow and Ball emulsion has a bad name at the moment, as it seems to peeling off easily, but that may be unrelated to your problem.

Did the instruction required F&B paint to have a primer?
Some skip this and get trouble. Look up the application pdf data sheet or read back of tin

Sponsored Links
Thanks! No - specifically no primer needed. I patch-tested a small area successfully, and then on that basis ploughed straight in with the roller on the whole area.
I gave the newly plastered area a light sand and then washed it.
It appears to just be a couple of small patches - so my proposed solution is probably sand back, mist-coat and repaint?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back